Ellingham beat Melton in cup
In the Mid Norfolk League Challenge Cup Round Two, Swardeston beat Great Melton by 190 runs.Ellingham travelled to the Hilltops ground to be greeted by the unusual site of a covered wicket.
In the Mid Norfolk League Challenge Cup Round Two, Swardeston beat Great Melton by 190 runs.
Ellingham travelled to the Hilltops ground to be greeted by the unusual site of a covered wicket.
Stand-in skipper Allum lost the toss and a strong Swardeston batting line up made hay.
There were contributions from all the Swardeston batsmen but in particular Ben Hogg (31), Jordan Taylor (31no), Alexander Bilham (74) and James Hooper (109 no) impressed.
You may also want to watch:
In fairness Ellingham's bowling attack has been stronger and they stuck to their task well and had they held more of their catches they may well have restricted Swardeston below the 293 that they amassed.
Carl Oxborough was the pick of the bowling (2-39) and A Mayes also picked up a wicket.
- 1 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 2 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 3 £4.8m funding to tackle scourge of drugs in Norwich
- 4 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 5 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 'We won't throw away masks or anti-bac': Couple book post-vaccine holiday
- 8 Concerns raised over proposed energy park's impact on wildlife
- 9 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 10 Flooding fears recede in Norfolk but wind warning issued
Ellingham were always going to face a tough task chasing this formidable total but were staring down the barrel straight away.
Micklethwaite (2-22) and Waterman (2-8) decimated the top order backed up by some superb catching. Cooper (45no) played an excellent regard innings and he gained some support from young Reeve (9) who demonstrated an excellent eye whilst batting.
Hogg (3-16) and Kennard (3-33) also ripped through the middle and late order to dismiss Ellingham for 103.
Ellingham can take credit for fulfilling this fixture and will look to produce an impressed performance in the next league game against Reepham & Salle.
Swardeston: J Martin c R Ewin b M Standley 19, B Hogg b C Oxborough 31, J Hooper not out 109, A Bilham c D Allum b A Mayes 74, R Bridgstock b C Oxborough 13, J Taylor not out 31; extras 16. Total (40 overs) 293-4. Bowling: M Standley 8-0-53-1, L Whiddett 8-0-57-0, J Hawkins 8-0-63-0, C Oxborough 8-0-39-2, C Reeve 4-0-34-0, D Allum 2-0-24-0, A Mayes 2-0-17-1.
Great Ellingham: R Ewin b R Micklethwaite 0, A Cooper not out 45, L Whiddett c B Hogg b R Micklethwaite 7, P McIntosh c B Hogg b J Waterman 0, D Allum c A Bilham b J Waterman 6, B Glover c J Waterman b M Hogg 4, J Hawkins st A Bilham b M Hogg 0, C Reeve b M Hogg 9, A Mayes c J Hooper b W Kennard 0, C Oxborough b W Kennard 5, M Standley b W Kennard 6; extras 21. Total (34.2 overs) 103. Bowling: R Micklethwaite 6-1-22-2, J Waterman 6-2-8-2, M Croft 7-2-23-0, M Hogg 8-2-16-3, W Kennard 7.2-0-33-3.