Ellingham beat Melton in cup
In the Mid Norfolk League Challenge Cup Round Two, Swardeston beat Great Melton by 190 runs.Ellingham travelled to the Hilltops ground to be greeted by the unusual site of a covered wicket.
In the Mid Norfolk League Challenge Cup Round Two, Swardeston beat Great Melton by 190 runs.
Ellingham travelled to the Hilltops ground to be greeted by the unusual site of a covered wicket.
Stand-in skipper Allum lost the toss and a strong Swardeston batting line up made hay.
There were contributions from all the Swardeston batsmen but in particular Ben Hogg (31), Jordan Taylor (31no), Alexander Bilham (74) and James Hooper (109 no) impressed.
You may also want to watch:
In fairness Ellingham's bowling attack has been stronger and they stuck to their task well and had they held more of their catches they may well have restricted Swardeston below the 293 that they amassed.
Carl Oxborough was the pick of the bowling (2-39) and A Mayes also picked up a wicket.
- 1 Decision due over controversial plans for 200 new homes
- 2 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 3 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 4 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 5 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 6 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 7 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 8 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 9 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham
- 10 Norfolk sports retailer opens new fitness showroom
Ellingham were always going to face a tough task chasing this formidable total but were staring down the barrel straight away.
Micklethwaite (2-22) and Waterman (2-8) decimated the top order backed up by some superb catching. Cooper (45no) played an excellent regard innings and he gained some support from young Reeve (9) who demonstrated an excellent eye whilst batting.
Hogg (3-16) and Kennard (3-33) also ripped through the middle and late order to dismiss Ellingham for 103.
Ellingham can take credit for fulfilling this fixture and will look to produce an impressed performance in the next league game against Reepham & Salle.
Swardeston: J Martin c R Ewin b M Standley 19, B Hogg b C Oxborough 31, J Hooper not out 109, A Bilham c D Allum b A Mayes 74, R Bridgstock b C Oxborough 13, J Taylor not out 31; extras 16. Total (40 overs) 293-4. Bowling: M Standley 8-0-53-1, L Whiddett 8-0-57-0, J Hawkins 8-0-63-0, C Oxborough 8-0-39-2, C Reeve 4-0-34-0, D Allum 2-0-24-0, A Mayes 2-0-17-1.
Great Ellingham: R Ewin b R Micklethwaite 0, A Cooper not out 45, L Whiddett c B Hogg b R Micklethwaite 7, P McIntosh c B Hogg b J Waterman 0, D Allum c A Bilham b J Waterman 6, B Glover c J Waterman b M Hogg 4, J Hawkins st A Bilham b M Hogg 0, C Reeve b M Hogg 9, A Mayes c J Hooper b W Kennard 0, C Oxborough b W Kennard 5, M Standley b W Kennard 6; extras 21. Total (34.2 overs) 103. Bowling: R Micklethwaite 6-1-22-2, J Waterman 6-2-8-2, M Croft 7-2-23-0, M Hogg 8-2-16-3, W Kennard 7.2-0-33-3.