Driver Cliffe speeds to win
Mulbarton driver Tristan Cliffe returned to the top step of the podium with victory at Cheshire's Oulton Park circuit, on only his second visit there.
Cliffe started the race from second on the grid after a damp qualifying session was effectively ended early after a few cars ended up in the gravel traps, speeds reduced near these stranded cars with waved yellow flags.
Title rival and championship leader Jeremy Timms was on pole position with Ray Rowan slotting in third place.
With heavy showers throughout the day, no-one was entirely sure which tyres to choose. When the race started it was Cliffe who got the perfect start as his side of the track had dried much quicker and Timms battled with traction off the line. Timms soon closed the gap and the two front runners dominated the race, trading fastest laps and quickly established a 25-second lead over the squabble for third place.
Drama happened on the penultimate lap of the race when Cliffe made a small mistake causing him to spin. Timms took avoiding action and also spun, with both cars ending up on the grass with stalled engines. Cliffe managed to restart his car and rejoined the track still in the lead, but sadly Timms couldn't get his car started and had to retire.
You may also want to watch:
Cliffe then cruised round to take his second victory of the year, with triple champion Mark Harrison in second.
- 1 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 2 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 3 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 4 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 5 More than 1,000 laptops donated to children in need in campaign
- 6 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 7 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 8 Norfolk MP denies breaking ministerial code by working for PPE firm
- 9 Landowners under pressure to stop repeat of floods
- 10 Bagpiper lifts spirits for care home residents on Burns Night