Double delight for Melton
IT was a GREAT weekend for Melton as the A and B teams both achieved their goal of promotion.The A team clinched promotion from Division Four with a good all-round performance against third placed Rocklands, and the B team beat Norwich and Coltishall Wanderers to gain the Division Six title.
IT was a GREAT weekend for Melton as the A and B teams both achieved their goal of promotion.
The A team clinched promotion from Division Four with a good all-round performance against third placed Rocklands, and the B team beat Norwich and Coltishall Wanderers to gain the Division Six title.
In the A team's game, it was a good toss to win with a green and slow wicket, and Rocklands were asked to bat first. Melton's Mr Consistent Gary Coulson (6-1-23-0) opened at one end but Les Abel was not going to let him settle and anything in his arc was sent to and over the boundary.
At the other end Scott Andrews bowled a superb unbroken spell starting with three maidens and making the breakthrough as Abel was pouched at slip by Chris Elliott. Andrews finished with 1-11 from his 12 overs and at drinks Rocklands had just 44 runs from 24 overs with Walker becalmed on six.
You may also want to watch:
Daryl Godbold made 2-26 while Grenville Ireland made a welcome return. Andrews took an excellent low catch at long-off to remove Carr for 20 and Ireland also took the wickets of Cooper and Defoe.
Rocklands were restricted to 132-7.
- 1 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 2 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 4 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: Norwich City Council LIVE Results
- 6 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 8 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 9 Norfolk airfield to host testing of 'world-first' electric plane
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
Regular openers Tony Alborough (22) and Lee Whiddett (24) gave Melton a solid start, putting on 49, but once they were parted it sparked a mini-collapse.
Alborough was caught behind off Richie Smith, Whiddett was run out, followed by Godbold (4) and Elliott (0). At 62-4, as so often this season, Melton found players to rise to the challenge.
This time it was Martyn Cook whose natural attacking game took Melton to the brink of victory. In tandem with Ben Mann, the pair put on 60 in 10 overs to crush Rocklands' own promotion dreams.
Cook's knock contained seven boundaries and he was out as he went for one final blow to win the match. Instead it was Mann who delivered the coup de grace to spark the celebrations.
Melton's win also guarantees promotion for title rivals Bradenham A who have now finished their league programme.
Melton know a convincing win at CEYMS this week will see them capture the Division Four silverware.
It would also match the performance of the club's B team, already confirmed as winners of Division Six.