Double delight for bowler Mann
Wymondham bowls player Christopher Mann, aged 20, is through to the Nationals again.After winning the county triples title with Wymondham team-mates Debbie and Steve Phillips, Mann and his pairs partner Ray Lamb (who plays for Halvergate) were runners-up in the county pairs competition at Lyng on Sunday.
Wymondham bowls player Christopher Mann, aged 20, is through to the Nationals again.
After winning the county triples title with Wymondham team-mates Debbie and Steve Phillips, Mann and his pairs partner Ray Lamb (who plays for Halvergate) were runners-up in the county pairs competition at Lyng on Sunday.
“It's good to represent Norfolk twice in the Nationals in April at Kettering. I hope I do well,” Mann told the Mercury.
In the group stage their first match was against one half of last season's champions, N Willard (of Bob Carter) and Ian Mclean (of Hevingham) where they won 13-6.
You may also want to watch:
They then went on to beat P Saunders of Wymondham and G Chilvers of Kirby Bedon 11-4.
They then had a nightmare of a game against R Wells of Connaught and his partner who finished top of the group on shot difference with Mann finishing second, which meant they had to play the Phillips pairing of Wymondham in the first round knock-outs.
- 1 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
- 2 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 3 'A whirlwind' - how 19-year-old became baking sensation in lockdown
- 4 Person injured and road closed after crash
- 5 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 6 In full: Council's apology to 'vindicated' members after bullying claims
- 7 How you can create a hedgehog haven
- 8 Meet nine-year-old Airlie – the little baker with a big dream
- 9 Flying Scotsman visit to Mid Norfolk Railway confirmed
- 10 Headteacher's plea after near miss involving child in pushchair
Although the couple had some rough luck, Mann took advantage and won. In the quarter-finals they then played another Wymondham player B Saunders with his pairs partner E Cole (of Woodbastwick) where they got off to a good start and maintained the lead they had to the end.
In the semi-finals they played C and P Johnson of Kirby Bedon where it was close but they eventually ran out 8-6 winners.
In the final they played the experienced G Clarke and G Crowe of Hevingham where a good start and a maximum halfway through meant that Mann conceded the match with an end to go to finish 11-3 down.