Display of true grit
WYMONDHAM finally recorded a win on the road on Saturday pulling off a memorable 20-15 victory over Basildon. The Wymondham points all came in a rip-roaring first half that was described by fly half Jon Loades afterwards 'as the best rugby he'd experienced in a long time'.
WYMONDHAM finally recorded a win on the road on Saturday pulling off a memorable 20-15 victory over Basildon.
The Wymondham points all came in a rip-roaring first half that was described by fly half Jon Loades afterwards 'as the best rugby he'd experienced in a long time'.
Then in the second half they tackled their hearts out restricting Basildon to just one try and in doing so pulled themselves out of the relegation zone in London 4 North East, albeit on points difference.
After conceding an early try to home winger Greg Smith, Wymondham rolled up their sleeves and Stuart Lyle coolly slotted over a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
They continued to pile on the pressure and Leathes Prior man of the match Marc Shortt created the chance for Loades to score under the posts, providing Lyle with a simple conversion.
Basildon were level four minutes later when Smith went over in the corner before Alex Brugger fielded a loose ball just inside his own half, shrugged off one would-be tackler and then eluded three more as he sped to the line to regain Wymondham's lead. The visitors were now at their irrepressible best and Loades' kung-fu style kick at the ball led to Ian Harris getting the touchdown to put his side 10 points ahead at half time.
- 1 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 2 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 3 £4.8m funding to tackle scourge of drugs in Norwich
- 4 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 5 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Flooding fears recede in Norfolk but wind warning issued
- 8 'We won't throw away masks or anti-bac': Couple book post-vaccine holiday
- 9 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 10 Tree falls on rail line as winds up to 69mph hit Norfolk
It looked set to be a long second half as Basildon piled on the pressure but the home side were restricted to a single try from lock Alan Pitcher. Wymondham went into injury time with victory in sight but then conceded a penalty whilst in a strong position. Danger man Gregg sped towards the line but Ian Harris came from nowhere to smash the winger into touch.
This weekend Wymondham host third- placed South Woodham Ferrers at Tuttles Lane.
Leathes Prior Man of the Match: Marc Shortt.
Wymondham RFC 20pts (Tries: Ian Harris, Alex Brugger, Jon Loades. Conv: Stuart Lyle. Pen: Lyle)
Basildon RUFC 15pts (Tries: Gregg Smith 2, Alan Pitcher)
Squad: Richard Dodd, Josh Cousens, Ian Harris, Stuart Lyle, Alex Brugger, Jon Loades, Pat Reed (Mark Buckham), Lee Summers, Neil Harris (Dave Sillett), Aaron Swanborough, John Morfoot, Tom Elias, Shane Hickey, Marc Shortt, Tom Coller. Sub not used: Dave MacKay. Referee: Gareth Holsgrove, East Midlands.