Cycle speedway: Tough start for Hethersett Hawks
Hethersett Hawks got their South East League campaign under way in cold and wet conditions at Great Blakenham.
The new-look Hawks side, with Lee Grange and Joshua Herring making their debuts and Leigh Cossey and Dan Chambers returning, gave a good opening account. But they had no answer to the fast-starting and first-bend power of four top Elite League riders in the Blakenham side.
Gt Blakenham 95 Hethersett 84 (L Cossey 13, D Chambers 13, L Grange 12, P Adams 11, D Martin 9, J Herring 9, B Collins 8, H Hamill 7, S Grimes 2).
In the Division Two match Hethersett were far too strong, with Harley Hamill unbeaten and Scott Grimes wining four of his five races.
Gt Blakenham B 67 Hethersett B 92 (H Hamill 18, A Johnson 18, S Grimes 17, O Buxton 14, R Carter 11, T Collins 10, M Perkins 4).
You may also want to watch:
The win rounded off a good week for the club, with local accountants Swinton & Co confirming an extension to their sponsorship agreement and former British Junior Champion Nick Myhill renewing his licence after a two-year absence.
He should be in action this Sunday when the Hawks entertain champions Ipswich in Division One at the Memorial Playing Field (2 pm).
- 1 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 3 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 4 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 5 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 8 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 9 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 10 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk