Cycle speedway: Tough start for Hethersett Hawks
Hethersett Hawks got their South East League campaign under way in cold and wet conditions at Great Blakenham.
The new-look Hawks side, with Lee Grange and Joshua Herring making their debuts and Leigh Cossey and Dan Chambers returning, gave a good opening account. But they had no answer to the fast-starting and first-bend power of four top Elite League riders in the Blakenham side.
Gt Blakenham 95 Hethersett 84 (L Cossey 13, D Chambers 13, L Grange 12, P Adams 11, D Martin 9, J Herring 9, B Collins 8, H Hamill 7, S Grimes 2).
In the Division Two match Hethersett were far too strong, with Harley Hamill unbeaten and Scott Grimes wining four of his five races.
Gt Blakenham B 67 Hethersett B 92 (H Hamill 18, A Johnson 18, S Grimes 17, O Buxton 14, R Carter 11, T Collins 10, M Perkins 4).
You may also want to watch:
The win rounded off a good week for the club, with local accountants Swinton & Co confirming an extension to their sponsorship agreement and former British Junior Champion Nick Myhill renewing his licence after a two-year absence.
He should be in action this Sunday when the Hawks entertain champions Ipswich in Division One at the Memorial Playing Field (2 pm).
- 1 Former factory site to become a new church
- 2 Woodforde's takes over Old Buckenham pub closed for two years
- 3 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 4 Man appears in court over Class A drug charge
- 5 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 6 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 10 See inside this restored period farmhouse for sale for £850,000