Cycle speedway: Hawks have plenty to celebrate
Hethersett Hawks/Swinton & Co had a lot to celebrate in the Norfolk finals held at their track. Not only was the track in perfect condition and produced some excellent, fast and competitive racing but also the club had the top three on the podium in the Norfolk Senior Championship and they can be proud that they are all home-grown riders.
Phil Adams was crowned Norfolk champion for the first time after a maximum score, holding off a tough challenge from the runner-up Leigh Cossey when they met in heat 16. This was the only point that Cossey dropped and the podium was competed by Dan Chambers after he defeated Norwich's Alan Parkins in a race-off, passing him on lap three.
Every champion needs a stroke of luck as in heat six he had been passed by Harley Hamill and was struggling at the back only for the race to be stopped when Hamill and Parkins had an untidy crash. Adams made no mistake in the rerun to set him on course for the title.
Scott Grimes was also in good form and looked to be in the frame until a disappointing last ride. Parkins was crowned the first-ever Norfolk Veterans champion and, with rivals falling by the wayside, Hethersett's Mel Perkins stepped onto the podium as runner -up with an injured Paddy Wenn (Norwich) limping up for the third place trophy.
Tiffany Collins and Carly Grimes represented the Eastern Region in the first British Women & Girls League match at Sheffield. Facing the North they helped the Eastern team to a winning position but had to face the top two home stars in the last heat and could not hold them giving North a narrow 60-59 victory. Tiffany scored 10 and Carly 7. In the Individual Grand Prix Tiffany reached the A final but finished fourth and Carly had a similar position the B Final.
You may also want to watch:
This weekend the Hawks are in action twice at Ipswich - on Saturday it is the U10 and U14 teams and on Sunday it is the turn of the A and B League sides.
- 1 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 2 Millions could be spent on better cycle routes around Norwich
- 3 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 4 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 5 Norfolk nurse's 'lightbulb moment' leads to star-studded dog show panel
- 6 "Buzz" at Norfolk gyms as classes return indoors
- 7 How can we manage the cost of my mother's care?
- 8 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased
- 9 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 10 Concerns over divide in vaccine rates - what's the situation where you live?