Connaught still in hunt for title
Connaught Bowls Club, Attleborough, recorded solid wins in the Breckland and South Norfolk Leagues and a narrow defeat in the Tens League.In the Breckland League Connaught A won 104-27 and 10-0 at home to Carleton Rode.
Connaught Bowls Club, Attleborough, recorded solid wins in the Breckland and South Norfolk Leagues and a narrow defeat in the Tens League.
In the Breckland League Connaught A won 104-27 and 10-0 at home to Carleton Rode. R Oatway 23, R Baker 6; R Wells 30, A Evans 8; S Bragg 23, R Davis 4; L Fallows 28, T Colley 9. The four Connaught triples concentrated hard against a side which struggled a bit on the mats.
The win maintains Connaught A's momentum in the title chase against Wymondham and Yaxham.
In the South Norfolk League Connaught won 57-43 and 8-2 at home to second-placed Horsford. G Wilcox 9-16, R Gilmour 17-12, T Musk 16-9, S Bragg 15-6. The winning triples all played competently, with Rick Gilmour again proving a useful skip in a new combination with Heather Winup and Ken Lurcock.
You may also want to watch:
This was a good win for Connaught against a side which had just beaten league leaders Thurton and third-placed Hempnall in successive matches.
In the Tens League Connaught lost 48-52 and 0-2 at home to Hempnall in another close match between the two sides. Pairs: T Musk 15-10, W Adcock 4-20. Triples: R Wells 15-13, R Oatway 14-9.
- 1 'Little fighter' Rian battling complex mix of heart conditions
- 2 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 3 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 4 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 5 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 6 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 7 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 8 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 9 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
Connaught won three of the four matches, a guarantee of at least a 6-4 win in any other league.
However, Tens League matches are determined on overall shots and a whirlwind performance by Chris Mann in the second match gave Hempnall enough shots for their victory.
Connaught teams on successive evenings now face Kirby Bedon (Tens League), Yaxham (Connaught A Breckland League), and First Bus (Norwich Cup semi-final second leg).
Some tough and season defining bowling is in prospect.