Comfortable home win has Attleborough Town smiling again
- Credit: Archant
Attleborough Town bounced back from the previous weekend's derby defeat against Wymondham Town with a routine home victory which gave their pormotion hopes a timely boost.
The club's volunteers did everything in their power to get the game on despite the adverse weather and after a quick pitch inspection the referee gave the go-ahead.
Jamie Venables came back into the side while Jay Webb's goal scoring exploits earned him the call-up in favour of Dan Whitman.
The game started at a fast pace with most of the play in the Kirkley half but the quality was lacking.
The first real piece of good attacking play led to Boro's opener. Fullback Snowling swung in a wonderful cross from the right after being found by Webb and it was met emphatically at the back post by Carr, whose bullet header made it 1-0.
You may also want to watch:
Kirkley came into the game after the goal and their pressure was rewarded when Boro gave possession away cheaply in the middle third for the visitors to score on the break.
Boro's heads dropped for 10 minutes after the goal but panic never really set in. Chances were created from set pieces and Boro went ahead just before half-time with Mark Allibone heading in Jack Flynn's corner.
- 1 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
- 2 Ex-pupils and staff reunite at former village school
- 3 Full steam ahead for track renewal work on railway
- 4 Arts centre announces reopening after Covid-forced hibernation
- 5 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 6 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 7 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 8 Should I invest in Shareholder Protection?
- 9 Can we get assistance to pay for long-term care?
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
Boro came out in the second half looking to put the game to bed early but clear-cut chances were hard to come by.
The game seemed to be drifting when, in the final quarter, the ball was fed into Allibone from the left hand side. WHen the midfielder was looking to slot the ball home a rash challenge led to a Boro penalty which Venables calmly slotted home.
Team: Guinness, Snowling, Venables, Mann, Lawrence, Wright, Allibone, Fuller, Carr, Flynn, Webb.
Subs: Smith, Clayton, Miles.
Boro play their final game before Christmas on Saturday as they visit North Walsham.
Wymondham Town went marching on at the top when they cruised home 8-1 at North Walsham to make it 28 points from a possible 30. Ashley Mitchell, Aaron Nixon and Liam Moriaty each scored twice for Wymondham, with Jason Armes and Joe Woodcock also on target.
They are away again on Saturday, with a game against Aylsham at Youngs Park.