Club show is a big hit
A crowd of more than 300 spectators enjoyed a hugely successful Attleborough Amateur Boxing Club show on Saturday.
The card of 20 bouts held up magnificently with 14 Attleborough ABC Boxers taking to the ring and the Eastern Counties Semi-Final bouts showcasing the talent in the area.
Bout of the night was without question the eagerly awaited semi-final showdown between Alfie Smith (Allcomers) and Cane Brunning (Kingfisher). The boxers fought a tremendously powerful and skilful three rounds and had the whole crowd on their feet with a standing ovation at the end of the bout.
The judges were split and Smith received the majority decision and goes onto the Eastern Counties Finals. Home boxer of the night on his debut for the club was Mat Grey with a very workmanlike and determined performance. Away boxer of the night was the flamboyant and colourful Rockie Wadhams (North Holt, London).
Chairman of Attleborough ABC, Jeremy Burton, said: 'Overall it was a fantastic, high quality, sporting occasion which demonstrated, where it matters – in the boxing ring – just how far the club has come and the appetite for the sport in Central Norfolk.'
You may also want to watch:
Attleborough ABC head coach Jon Dennis was delighted with how all the home boxers performed on the night and did both themselves and the club proud.
n Results – see page 54
- 1 'A whirlwind' - how 19-year-old became baking sensation in lockdown
- 2 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 3 Person injured and road closed after crash
- 4 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
- 5 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 6 How you can create a hedgehog haven
- 7 In full: Council's apology to 'vindicated' members after bullying claims
- 8 Meet nine-year-old Airlie – the little baker with a big dream
- 9 Flying Scotsman visit to Mid Norfolk Railway confirmed
- 10 'Get out and vote on election day': plea to people across Norfolk