Club show is a big hit
A crowd of more than 300 spectators enjoyed a hugely successful Attleborough Amateur Boxing Club show on Saturday.
The card of 20 bouts held up magnificently with 14 Attleborough ABC Boxers taking to the ring and the Eastern Counties Semi-Final bouts showcasing the talent in the area.
Bout of the night was without question the eagerly awaited semi-final showdown between Alfie Smith (Allcomers) and Cane Brunning (Kingfisher). The boxers fought a tremendously powerful and skilful three rounds and had the whole crowd on their feet with a standing ovation at the end of the bout.
The judges were split and Smith received the majority decision and goes onto the Eastern Counties Finals. Home boxer of the night on his debut for the club was Mat Grey with a very workmanlike and determined performance. Away boxer of the night was the flamboyant and colourful Rockie Wadhams (North Holt, London).
Chairman of Attleborough ABC, Jeremy Burton, said: 'Overall it was a fantastic, high quality, sporting occasion which demonstrated, where it matters – in the boxing ring – just how far the club has come and the appetite for the sport in Central Norfolk.'
You may also want to watch:
Attleborough ABC head coach Jon Dennis was delighted with how all the home boxers performed on the night and did both themselves and the club proud.
n Results – see page 54
- 1 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 2 Lotus creates 250 new jobs - but will ditch some models
- 3 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 4 Missing 84-year-old man found safe and well
- 5 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 6 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 7 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 8 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 9 'Little fighter' Rian battling complex mix of heart conditions
- 10 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter