Club show is a big hit
A crowd of more than 300 spectators enjoyed a hugely successful Attleborough Amateur Boxing Club show on Saturday.
The card of 20 bouts held up magnificently with 14 Attleborough ABC Boxers taking to the ring and the Eastern Counties Semi-Final bouts showcasing the talent in the area.
Bout of the night was without question the eagerly awaited semi-final showdown between Alfie Smith (Allcomers) and Cane Brunning (Kingfisher). The boxers fought a tremendously powerful and skilful three rounds and had the whole crowd on their feet with a standing ovation at the end of the bout.
The judges were split and Smith received the majority decision and goes onto the Eastern Counties Finals. Home boxer of the night on his debut for the club was Mat Grey with a very workmanlike and determined performance. Away boxer of the night was the flamboyant and colourful Rockie Wadhams (North Holt, London).
Chairman of Attleborough ABC, Jeremy Burton, said: 'Overall it was a fantastic, high quality, sporting occasion which demonstrated, where it matters – in the boxing ring – just how far the club has come and the appetite for the sport in Central Norfolk.'
Attleborough ABC head coach Jon Dennis was delighted with how all the home boxers performed on the night and did both themselves and the club proud.
n Results – see page 54
- 1 Carriageway of A11 remains closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 2 Road closed in mid Norfolk after electrical cables catch fire
- 3 Pick your own beautiful bouquets in country park's new garden
- 4 Fast & Furious and Star Wars actor dines in Norfolk pub
- 5 Man accused of £3.5m whiskey theft due back in court
- 6 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Part of A11 to close for overnight repairs following crash
- 8 Former bank in town could become a Domino's takeaway
- 9 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 10 New boss at historic Norfolk pub launches fresh menu and community events