Bunn-derful win for Great Melton
An outstanding performance with bat and ball from man-of-the-match David Bunn gave Great Melton a nail-biting one-wicket win over Kirkley and Lowestoft Railway.
It was an off-day for a few of Melton's batsmen, but confidence can be taken from the fact that, although it wasn't their best performance, Melton still managed to earn 24 points to remain at the head of the Division Three table.
Stand-in Melton skipper Marcus Godbold inserted the visitors on a flat track with a lightning outfield.
However, Melton's pacy openers Richard Waddell and Darshan Rai could not get on top of the Kirkley batsmen, C Guy (53) doing the damage with a series of lusty blows through, and over the covers, taking Kirkley to a score of 79-1 off 11 overs.
Bunn (4-46) and ever-economical Oliver Harris (2-33) stemmed the flow of runs. Harris also accounted for the wickets of the dangerous Guy and was assisted by some smart work behind the stumps by Simon Woods to remove J Halstein (10) while Bunn took the wickets of M Bishop (0), J Block (8), J Lovelock (0) and C Meadows (5) helped by two good catches in the gully by Jonathan Howard.
You may also want to watch:
During this, Kirkley skipper B Wilgoss (52no), quietly went about his business. A partnership of 56 between Wilgoss and S Howes (23) stemmed Melton's progress before Waddell bowled Howes leaving Howard (2-24) to clean up .
The Melton skipper was feeling confident that his side was more than capable of chasing 195.
- 1 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 2 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 3 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 4 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 5 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 6 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 7 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 8 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 9 Norfolk sports retailer opens new fitness showroom
- 10 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham
Richard Wood (5) perished in the fifth over to J Block (2-28), lobbing a catch to square leg. George King (10) was trapped lbw by C Guy (2-61).
Dave Allum (41) made progress but he struggled to find a partner as Godbold (13) and Cook (2) fell to soft dismissals.
Waddell (39) punished any bad deliveries. Howard (24) played a vital innings, with David Bunn (19no) hitting timely boundaries. Bishop (2-56) removed Howard and with Harris (5) perishing in a run out and Woods (4) trapped lbw, Rai blocked out two balls before Bunn hit a four for victory.