Bryce scores fifth ton of season - but it’s not enough for Hethersett and Tas Valley
- Credit: Archant
Hethersett and Tas Valley suffered a frustrating one wicket defeat at home to Swaffham in a match that swung back and forth.
The game was dominated by two fine individual innings — one from the home side and one from the visitors.
Hethersett looked to be on target for a big score with opener Ian Bryce again in imperious form with his fifth century of the season. But when he fell for 102, Valley suffered a batting collapse that was only arrested by a last wicket partnership of 33 between John Curtis (36) and Tom Worley (13 not out). That helped to give them a respectable total of 235 in 42.3 overs.
Sadly Valley were to rue not batting through their 45 overs as Swaffham's reply took off at breakneck speed, with openers Mark Eagle and Jasper Payne hitting 16 off the first over. Swaffham lost a couple of wickets before Alex Payne hit a match-winning unbeaten 125. Hethersett looked down and out until Swaffham suffered a mid-order collapse to go from 190-3 to 214-9.
Payne commandeered the strike to smash 24 runs off the 39th over to see his team home. John Curtis was the pick of the Valley bowlers with 4-50 and Bryce rounded off a fine all round performance with 3-37. Despite the defeat Valley stay third in Division Two of the Norfolk Alliance.
You may also want to watch:
Hethersett Seconds went down to Rocklands by 40 runs. The home side hit 228-5, a total that Valley found too tough as they replied with 188-9 (Dean Parfitt 47, Richard Ellis 42 not out).
Valley Thirds are up to fourth place in The Norfolk League Division Three Central following a solid 94 run over Rocklands. Valley hit 245-8 with Jonathon Cooper scoring 81 and Leigh King 44. They then restricted Rocklands to 151-8 with King taking 4-12.
- 1 'Little fighter' Rian battling complex mix of heart conditions
- 2 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 5 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 6 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 7 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 8 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 9 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 5 virtual games to play with family and friends over Zoom
Valley Fourths achieved their second victory of the season in Norfolk League Division Four South West. In a low scoring game they were all out for 136 at Diss with virtually all their runs coming from skipper Mark Worley (50) and Jordan Buxton (49). They then bowled Diss out for 102 (Ed Blowfield 3-14).
This Saturday the firsts visit Beccles, the seconds are without a game, the thirds visit Reepham and the fourths are home to Garboldisham.
On Sunday, Valley beat Beccles in the Lady Mary Plate quarter-finals. After bowling out Beccles for 149 Valley reached their target for the loss of just three wickets.