Bowls: Connaught off to winning start
Connaught Bowls Club, Attleborough, opened their outdoor season with wins for their men's EBA 'A' and 'B' sides which both play in the county South Zone Div 2.
Connaught 'A' beat Dickleburgh at home by 57-54 and 4-1. O Secker 24-21, W Adcock 19-19, J Ross 24-24. In a tense match Owen Secker's rink pulled up from 14-21 down to win, Jim Ross's rink recovered to draw from 18-24 down after 18 ends and Bill Adcock's rink also drew after dropping 1 and 2 on the last two ends.
Connaught 'B' drew 56-56 on shots but won 3-2 on points at Wymondham Dell 'B'. R Harrison 10-29, S Barclay 20-19, S Groom 26-8. Stan Groom's rink played well in a big win while Steve Barclay's rink just clung on for victory after losing a 17-5 lead.
In the Fermoy Cup Connaught 'A' lost to a strong Acle side, Bill Adcock's home four winning narrowly but Jim Ross's away four dropping too many shots despite winning 10 out of 21 ends.
Wet weather has hampered the season's preparations but free coaching sessions for the general public are under way on Saturday mornings 10.00 to 12.00; phone 01953 789382 for details.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 3 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 4 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 5 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 8 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 9 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 10 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk