Bowls: Connaught off to winning start
Connaught Bowls Club, Attleborough, opened their outdoor season with wins for their men's EBA 'A' and 'B' sides which both play in the county South Zone Div 2.
Connaught 'A' beat Dickleburgh at home by 57-54 and 4-1. O Secker 24-21, W Adcock 19-19, J Ross 24-24. In a tense match Owen Secker's rink pulled up from 14-21 down to win, Jim Ross's rink recovered to draw from 18-24 down after 18 ends and Bill Adcock's rink also drew after dropping 1 and 2 on the last two ends.
Connaught 'B' drew 56-56 on shots but won 3-2 on points at Wymondham Dell 'B'. R Harrison 10-29, S Barclay 20-19, S Groom 26-8. Stan Groom's rink played well in a big win while Steve Barclay's rink just clung on for victory after losing a 17-5 lead.
In the Fermoy Cup Connaught 'A' lost to a strong Acle side, Bill Adcock's home four winning narrowly but Jim Ross's away four dropping too many shots despite winning 10 out of 21 ends.
Wet weather has hampered the season's preparations but free coaching sessions for the general public are under way on Saturday mornings 10.00 to 12.00; phone 01953 789382 for details.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Just 65 people vote in referendum on town council's future
- 2 Certificates for Wymondham in Bloom floral displays announced
- 3 Teenager has all clear from testicular cancer after pioneering surgery
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Wymondham raises flag ahead of Norwich Pride 2021
- 7 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 8 Horse found with maggot-infested wounds wins rosette at equestrian show
- 9 Headteacher 'delighted' as new space created for primary school
- 10 Woman crashed into two cars after drinking at friend's home, court hears