Bowls: Connaught off to winning start
Connaught Bowls Club, Attleborough, opened their outdoor season with wins for their men's EBA 'A' and 'B' sides which both play in the county South Zone Div 2.
Connaught 'A' beat Dickleburgh at home by 57-54 and 4-1. O Secker 24-21, W Adcock 19-19, J Ross 24-24. In a tense match Owen Secker's rink pulled up from 14-21 down to win, Jim Ross's rink recovered to draw from 18-24 down after 18 ends and Bill Adcock's rink also drew after dropping 1 and 2 on the last two ends.
Connaught 'B' drew 56-56 on shots but won 3-2 on points at Wymondham Dell 'B'. R Harrison 10-29, S Barclay 20-19, S Groom 26-8. Stan Groom's rink played well in a big win while Steve Barclay's rink just clung on for victory after losing a 17-5 lead.
In the Fermoy Cup Connaught 'A' lost to a strong Acle side, Bill Adcock's home four winning narrowly but Jim Ross's away four dropping too many shots despite winning 10 out of 21 ends.
Wet weather has hampered the season's preparations but free coaching sessions for the general public are under way on Saturday mornings 10.00 to 12.00; phone 01953 789382 for details.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Donations mean 13 vulnerable children will get laptops at home
- 2 Your photos as blanket of snow covers Wymondham and Attleborough
- 3 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 4 Fury as 'woolly' Covid rules leave police 'stuck in middle'
- 5 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 6 Bird flu containment 'successfully completed' at infected turkey farms
- 7 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 8 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 9 A11 lane reopens after Thickthorn crash
- 10 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney