Bowls: Connaught off to winning start
Connaught Bowls Club, Attleborough, opened their outdoor season with wins for their men's EBA 'A' and 'B' sides which both play in the county South Zone Div 2.
Connaught 'A' beat Dickleburgh at home by 57-54 and 4-1. O Secker 24-21, W Adcock 19-19, J Ross 24-24. In a tense match Owen Secker's rink pulled up from 14-21 down to win, Jim Ross's rink recovered to draw from 18-24 down after 18 ends and Bill Adcock's rink also drew after dropping 1 and 2 on the last two ends.
Connaught 'B' drew 56-56 on shots but won 3-2 on points at Wymondham Dell 'B'. R Harrison 10-29, S Barclay 20-19, S Groom 26-8. Stan Groom's rink played well in a big win while Steve Barclay's rink just clung on for victory after losing a 17-5 lead.
In the Fermoy Cup Connaught 'A' lost to a strong Acle side, Bill Adcock's home four winning narrowly but Jim Ross's away four dropping too many shots despite winning 10 out of 21 ends.
Wet weather has hampered the season's preparations but free coaching sessions for the general public are under way on Saturday mornings 10.00 to 12.00; phone 01953 789382 for details.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Tudor mansion for sale for £2.5m with link to magical Christmas tale
- 2 How has Wymondham recovered from its coronavirus spike?
- 3 Man who assaulted neighbour with bird bath told to get legal advice
- 4 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 5 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 6 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 7 Carrot gold: Maverick painter swaps screwdriver for vegetable
- 8 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 9 Howzat? Designer creates 3D printed cricket machine from Norfolk garage
- 10 'Such a shame' - youth football club targeted by criminals twice in two days