Bowls: Connaught off to winning start
Connaught Bowls Club, Attleborough, opened their outdoor season with wins for their men's EBA 'A' and 'B' sides which both play in the county South Zone Div 2.
Connaught 'A' beat Dickleburgh at home by 57-54 and 4-1. O Secker 24-21, W Adcock 19-19, J Ross 24-24. In a tense match Owen Secker's rink pulled up from 14-21 down to win, Jim Ross's rink recovered to draw from 18-24 down after 18 ends and Bill Adcock's rink also drew after dropping 1 and 2 on the last two ends.
Connaught 'B' drew 56-56 on shots but won 3-2 on points at Wymondham Dell 'B'. R Harrison 10-29, S Barclay 20-19, S Groom 26-8. Stan Groom's rink played well in a big win while Steve Barclay's rink just clung on for victory after losing a 17-5 lead.
In the Fermoy Cup Connaught 'A' lost to a strong Acle side, Bill Adcock's home four winning narrowly but Jim Ross's away four dropping too many shots despite winning 10 out of 21 ends.
Wet weather has hampered the season's preparations but free coaching sessions for the general public are under way on Saturday mornings 10.00 to 12.00; phone 01953 789382 for details.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 2 Attleborough set to have no bank as Lloyds announces closure
- 3 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 4 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
- 5 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Warning to check smoke alarms after family escaped fire
- 8 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 9 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 10 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road