Boro fail to build on early lead as promotion-chasers take points

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

Attleborough Town can have few complaints about their 2-1 home defeat at the hands of promotion-chasing Beccles after a lacklustre second half display.

Boro made just one change to the starting line-up against Sheringham the previous week, Snowling replacing the injured M Brown at full back.

The game started brightly, with both teams moving the ball positively, and Boro came close after 15 minutes as Rivett cut inside and struck a curling shot across goal, only for Beccles keeper Cable to acrobatically tip over.

Boro broke the deadlock after 20 minutes, Mann rising highest from a corner to head home powerfully.

Boro continued to dominate possession and created three further chances in quick succession. Mann should have added to his earlier strike as he fired a half volley over the bar from just eight yards. Flynn was then played in on goal by Venables, only to see his well-struck shot tipped past the post by Cable in the Beccles goal.

The Beccles keeper was called into action again just moments later as he made a reaction save with his chest from a close-range shot from Carr.

Boro were left to rue their missed chances on the stroke of half-time when tall Beccles defender Shade got across his man from a corner and headed past Boro keeper Ducker at his near post.

Most Read

Beccles started the second half much the brighter side and Ducker was forced into action on more than one occasion, managing to keep the scoreline level.

Dawes replaced Carr on the hour mark, with Boro seeking to retain possession for longer periods. Unfortunately Boro could not stem the Beccles tide, which ultimately cost them in the 73rd minute. Snowling was unable to win a challenge with the Beccles winger, the ball ricocheting to Beccles forward Harvey-Cooper who cut inside and struck a shot from the edge of the area that deflected past Ducker.

Boro pushed for an equaliser late on and Venables' curling free-kick was met by Beales at the back post, but the substitute sent the ball wide with a miscued header.

Boro travel to eighth-placed Loddon on Saturday, aiming to bounce back from what was a deserved defeat in the first of their final three fixtures of the season.