Attleborough Town turn tables to make progress in Senior Cup
- Credit: Archant
What a difference three weeks can make in local football.
Having lost 7-1 at home to last Saturday's opponents in the league at the start of the month, Boro supporters could have been forgiven for thinking that another North Walsham win was on the cards - but how wrong they would have been.
The first half matched the previous league encounter with both sides playing an open game, with Boro having the better chances.
A Jamie Venables free-kick on 45 minutes looked to have given the home side a valuable lead at the break but poor marking just in added time gave Colm McGilway an easy chance to level the scores.
Having capitulated against Walsham in the league game, Boro's players and management were determined to prevent a repeat and Venables doubled his tally on the hour mark when he sent keeper Bird the wrong way from the penalty spot.
You may also want to watch:
The home side were really on song now and after 70 minutes it was 3-1 with a cracking team goal finished from close range by Kieran Brown.
Substitutes' Jak Fuller and Matty Carr were introduced to continue the domination and both played an integral part in the match as Carr finished off a superb move to hit the fourth goal.
- 1 Decision due over controversial plans for 200 new homes
- 2 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 3 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 4 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 5 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 6 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 7 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 8 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 9 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham
- 10 Norfolk sports retailer opens new fitness showroom
The same player almost made in five when he lobbed an audacious effort inches wide after a another flowing counter attack.
Boro are again at home this Saturday as they meet Bungay in the league. Kick-off is at 2.30pm on the Rec.
Wymondham Town also booked their place in the second round when they won 2-1 at Loddon. Jake Rose scored for the home side but they were undone by efforts from Liam Moriarty and Ash Mitchell. Town are without a league game on Saturday.
In the Premier Division of the Anglian Combination Harleston Town moved three points ahead of Norwich CEYMS with a 3-0 win at Bradenham Wanderers, Connor Delaney, Nicky Howell and Nathan Stone getting the goals.
Mulbarton were made to work hard by Waveney before an own goal from Ryan Bloomfield eventually saw them take a 1-0 win at Mulberry Park.
Norwich CEYMS remain unbeaten this season after a 4-2 win after extra-time at home against Mattishall.
Goals from Tom Amis (2), Lewi Allen and Lewis Easter saw them through.