Athletics: Tough conditions for Wymondham AC runners
Grim weather greeted the 280 runners who took part in the Wymondham AC 20-mile road race.
The cold rain and wind was relentless for runners, many of whom will be heading south in a few weeks to take part in the London Marathon.
Despite the conditions, Stephen Gibbs (Norwich Road Runners) maintained a good pace throughout the race to win in a time of 1.57.06.
Gibbs had some company at the start of the race, but his consistent pacing paid off, dropping his last rival at about 11 miles. Carl Prewer (Lowestoft Road Runners) finished well to take second in 1.59.41, followed by Steven Cockerell (Nene Valley) in 2.00.24.
In the women's race, Tracey Partmore (Cambridge & Coleridge AC) finished nearly five minutes ahead of her nearest rival. Tracey, 45, ran impressively over the 20-mile distance, completing the course in 2.25.51. Another good placing for a veteran runner in the women's race was 50-year-old Annie Bradbury (Ryston Runners) who was second in 2.30.25. Alice Ambrose (CONAC) was chasing the experienced veterans hard and finished in third place with a time of 2.31.39.
You may also want to watch:
Team prizes were awarded to Norwich Road Runners for the senior men's, veteran men's and senior women's teams, once again show-casing the strength in depth of their road running club. The veterans' women's team prize was awarded to Ryston Runners AC.
Thanks to all those that turned out to help on the day in the cold conditions. Thanks must also go to St Johns Ambulance, the Ex Servicemens club and ILCH and Nicks Diner for supporting the race.
- 1 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 2 Donations mean 13 vulnerable children will get laptops at home
- 3 Your photos as blanket of snow covers Wymondham and Attleborough
- 4 Fury as 'woolly' Covid rules leave police 'stuck in middle'
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Calls for new hardship fund amid Covid impact and tax rise
- 7 Inquests into deaths at Banham Poultry adjourned for seventh time
- 8 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 9 Stunning images reveal 'tree roots' of Norfolk
- 10 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
Wymondham AC 's next race is the Midsummer 10-Miler on June 10, with entries opening shortly.