Moriaty’s double helps Wymondham Town to 3-0 win over Scole
- Credit: Archant
Scole United started the new year with a daunting fixture at high-flying Wymondham Town and slipped to a 3-0 defeat after a brave showing.
The visitors had no fewer than six regular starters missing, including skipper Ben Norton-Hugman and new signing Alex Blakeley.
So it was a young and rather inexperienced but nonetheless strong squad that took to the field against a Town side that had only lost once in the league this season.
Scole made a half decent start and almost took the lead following a passage of play that included four corners on the bounce. Ashley Baxter's corner from the left was hooked back into the danger zone by Brad Hunt and Connor Kerry's brave header was cleared off the line to the edge of the box where Callum Olpin caught the ball on the half-volley, only to see the effort blocked on the line again,
However Wymondham got the break when they scored the opener following a left wing cross that wrong footed Reece Lanchester and as the youngster tried to clear his kick was deflected off Liam Moriaty over Ben Buckmaster's head for a scrappy goal.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham's second was anything but scrappy though when highly rated centre forward Moriaty, recently returned to the club from Norwich United, broke through the Scole defence and produced a sublime finish to chip Buckmaster.
This brought about a tactical change for Scole with manager Jon Abbott bringing himself on to direct matters from the centre of the park, with full back Ollie Boardman the unfortunate victim of this change.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 2 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 5 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 8 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 9 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 10 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
Abbott's appearance had the desired effect and Scole settled but were grateful to Buckmaster on two further occasions in the first half for keeping out good efforts from the home side.
Scole rallied in the second half and could have pulled one back when a towering Tom Green header rebounded the wrong way off the far post with the Wymondham defence and keeper mere bystanders. However Scole paid for pushing on too much when the hosts got a third and wrapped the game up in the 73rd minute when a good shot from winger Aaron Nixon found the top corner.
Scole are away to North Walsham Town on Saturday while Wymondham play host to promotion rivals Sheringham.