Moriaty’s double helps Wymondham Town to 3-0 win over Scole
- Credit: Archant
Scole United started the new year with a daunting fixture at high-flying Wymondham Town and slipped to a 3-0 defeat after a brave showing.
The visitors had no fewer than six regular starters missing, including skipper Ben Norton-Hugman and new signing Alex Blakeley.
So it was a young and rather inexperienced but nonetheless strong squad that took to the field against a Town side that had only lost once in the league this season.
Scole made a half decent start and almost took the lead following a passage of play that included four corners on the bounce. Ashley Baxter's corner from the left was hooked back into the danger zone by Brad Hunt and Connor Kerry's brave header was cleared off the line to the edge of the box where Callum Olpin caught the ball on the half-volley, only to see the effort blocked on the line again,
However Wymondham got the break when they scored the opener following a left wing cross that wrong footed Reece Lanchester and as the youngster tried to clear his kick was deflected off Liam Moriaty over Ben Buckmaster's head for a scrappy goal.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham's second was anything but scrappy though when highly rated centre forward Moriaty, recently returned to the club from Norwich United, broke through the Scole defence and produced a sublime finish to chip Buckmaster.
This brought about a tactical change for Scole with manager Jon Abbott bringing himself on to direct matters from the centre of the park, with full back Ollie Boardman the unfortunate victim of this change.
- 1 Just 65 people vote in referendum on town council's future
- 2 Certificates for Wymondham in Bloom floral displays announced
- 3 Teenager has all clear from testicular cancer after pioneering surgery
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 7 Wymondham raises flag ahead of Norwich Pride 2021
- 8 Horse found with maggot-infested wounds wins rosette at equestrian show
- 9 Woman crashed into two cars after drinking at friend's home, court hears
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
Abbott's appearance had the desired effect and Scole settled but were grateful to Buckmaster on two further occasions in the first half for keeping out good efforts from the home side.
Scole rallied in the second half and could have pulled one back when a towering Tom Green header rebounded the wrong way off the far post with the Wymondham defence and keeper mere bystanders. However Scole paid for pushing on too much when the hosts got a third and wrapped the game up in the 73rd minute when a good shot from winger Aaron Nixon found the top corner.
Scole are away to North Walsham Town on Saturday while Wymondham play host to promotion rivals Sheringham.