Attleborough Town pay price for conceding two early goals

Action from Saturday's Anglian Combination Premier Division match between Waveney and Long Stratton,

Action from Saturday's Anglian Combination Premier Division match between Waveney and Long Stratton, which ended in a goalless draw. Picture: Steve Wood - Credit: Archant

Attleborough Town started the new year with a tough game at leaders Mundford and returned home empty handed after conceding two early goals.

Liam Clayton made his first start for six weeks, replacing the suspended Jamie Venables.

The game started brightly for the home side and within five minutes they drew first blood. A seemingly tame effort from outside the box took a wicked deflection off the Attleborough centre back Greg Mann's head, leaving no chance for the helpless Guinness in goal.

It was soon 2-0 following a long ball downfield from the home side. The Attleborough defence were caught napping, a headed flick on fell to the Mundford striker who outpaced Liam Clayton and poked the ball underneath the on-rushing Josh Guinness.

After finding themselves 2-1 down in 10 minutes a lifeline arrived after some excellent play down the left by Matty Carr who cut inside and smashed his effort into the top right hand corner.

It was his third goal in as many games since being promoted from the Reserves.

The remainder of the half was dominated by Mundford and Attleborough could count themselves fortunate to still be in the game at the break.

Most Read

After the game Attleborough upped their game and started to probe the Mundford defence.

Brad Rivett came off the bench to replace Jak Fuller and made an instant impact, bursting down the right hand side. His cross was half cleared to the penalty spot but Steven Wright's effort was saved by the Mundford keeper.

A corner from the left hand side provided by Brad Rivett forced another smart save from the keeper. This time it was Mark Allibone who had made the front post run and his resulting flick on couldn't find the back of the net.

Another Attleborough change saw Jack Flynn make way for Daniel Whitman. The latter got himself onto the end of an in-swinging free-kick but his header whisked past the outside of the post.

In the dying moments of the game Tom Miles found himself in behind the Mundford defence but could only volley his shot into the chest of the home keeper.

Attleborough know that they need to start the game brightly from the first whistle if they are to climb the table. They continue their Anglian Combination Division One campaign at home to Watton on Saturday.