Ace results for young golfers
Ace golfer Jamie Smith, from Wymondham, won the Norfolk Schools Championships.Smith, who plays for Bawburgh, and Royal Cromer's Amber Ratcliffe took the top honours at the championships, which saw other good results for South Norfolk golfers.
Ace golfer Jamie Smith, from Wymondham, won the Norfolk Schools Championships.
Smith, who plays for Bawburgh, and Royal Cromer's Amber Ratcliffe took the top honours at the championships, which saw other good results for South Norfolk golfers.
Smith won the boy's scratch crown by the narrowest of margins, on countback from Costessey Park's Matt Bacon, after they both posted scores of one-under par 71 at The Norfolk, Reymerston.
The 18-year-old was playing his last junior event and remarked: 'It's good to go out on a high.'
Last year, he won the Derek Rains Trophy - the county boys' scratch matchplay - again beating Matt Bacon in the final, and was third overall in the Norfolk amateur order of merit.
'I've had a bit of a dodgy start to this year and haven't been playing that well. But it all came together today and that's a big boost for my confidence,' said Smith, who had five birdies in his round.
- 1 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 2 A11 closure to continue as roadworks finally begin
- 3 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 4 Pro dancer transforms Norfolk barber's shop into a new pilates studio
- 5 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 6 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 7 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 10 Recessions, a fire and a pandemic: Landlords look back on 20 years at pub
Previously a student at Wymondham College, the 18-year-old is now at Easton College on a golf scholarship, doing a BTEC in sports development.
Results - Boys' champion: 71 Jamie Smith (Easton College, Bawburgh), ocb Mathew Bacon (Easton College, Costessey Park).
75 Calum Slowther (City of Norwich School, Royal Norwich), ocb
Girls' champion: 75 Amber Ratcliffe (Sheringham High, Royal Cromer)
Boys' handicap champion: Jack Reeve (Ormesby Village Junior, Gt Yarmouth & Caister) 92-28-64, Jason Tudge (Neatherd High, Dereham) 88-23-65, Alex Bates (Northgate High, Dereham) 87-18-69
Girls' handicap champion: Emily Anthony (Wymondham College, Barnham Broom) 93-21-72
U14 champion: George Anthony (Wymondham College, Barnham Broom) 82-14-68, Dylan Green (Costessey High, Costessey Park) 92-21-71 ocb
Novices' champion: Luke Packard (Attleborough High, Richmond Park) 109-32-77.
Team champions: Easton College A - Matthew Bacon (Costessey Park) net 68, Aaron Bullock (Caldecott Hall) net 72, James Lawrence (The Norfolk) net 73.