Ace results for young golfers
Ace golfer Jamie Smith, from Wymondham, won the Norfolk Schools Championships.Smith, who plays for Bawburgh, and Royal Cromer's Amber Ratcliffe took the top honours at the championships, which saw other good results for South Norfolk golfers.
Ace golfer Jamie Smith, from Wymondham, won the Norfolk Schools Championships.
Smith, who plays for Bawburgh, and Royal Cromer's Amber Ratcliffe took the top honours at the championships, which saw other good results for South Norfolk golfers.
Smith won the boy's scratch crown by the narrowest of margins, on countback from Costessey Park's Matt Bacon, after they both posted scores of one-under par 71 at The Norfolk, Reymerston.
The 18-year-old was playing his last junior event and remarked: 'It's good to go out on a high.'
You may also want to watch:
Last year, he won the Derek Rains Trophy - the county boys' scratch matchplay - again beating Matt Bacon in the final, and was third overall in the Norfolk amateur order of merit.
'I've had a bit of a dodgy start to this year and haven't been playing that well. But it all came together today and that's a big boost for my confidence,' said Smith, who had five birdies in his round.
- 1 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Man found with cannabis and £1,800 in lockdown, court hears
- 4 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 5 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 6 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 8 Greater Anglia pledges to begin Wymondham station improvements this year
- 9 New Norfolk Trail could 'attract more money' into market town
- 10 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
Previously a student at Wymondham College, the 18-year-old is now at Easton College on a golf scholarship, doing a BTEC in sports development.
Results - Boys' champion: 71 Jamie Smith (Easton College, Bawburgh), ocb Mathew Bacon (Easton College, Costessey Park).
75 Calum Slowther (City of Norwich School, Royal Norwich), ocb
Girls' champion: 75 Amber Ratcliffe (Sheringham High, Royal Cromer)
Boys' handicap champion: Jack Reeve (Ormesby Village Junior, Gt Yarmouth & Caister) 92-28-64, Jason Tudge (Neatherd High, Dereham) 88-23-65, Alex Bates (Northgate High, Dereham) 87-18-69
Girls' handicap champion: Emily Anthony (Wymondham College, Barnham Broom) 93-21-72
U14 champion: George Anthony (Wymondham College, Barnham Broom) 82-14-68, Dylan Green (Costessey High, Costessey Park) 92-21-71 ocb
Novices' champion: Luke Packard (Attleborough High, Richmond Park) 109-32-77.
Team champions: Easton College A - Matthew Bacon (Costessey Park) net 68, Aaron Bullock (Caldecott Hall) net 72, James Lawrence (The Norfolk) net 73.