Ace results for young golfers
Ace golfer Jamie Smith, from Wymondham, won the Norfolk Schools Championships.Smith, who plays for Bawburgh, and Royal Cromer's Amber Ratcliffe took the top honours at the championships, which saw other good results for South Norfolk golfers.
Ace golfer Jamie Smith, from Wymondham, won the Norfolk Schools Championships.
Smith, who plays for Bawburgh, and Royal Cromer's Amber Ratcliffe took the top honours at the championships, which saw other good results for South Norfolk golfers.
Smith won the boy's scratch crown by the narrowest of margins, on countback from Costessey Park's Matt Bacon, after they both posted scores of one-under par 71 at The Norfolk, Reymerston.
The 18-year-old was playing his last junior event and remarked: 'It's good to go out on a high.'
You may also want to watch:
Last year, he won the Derek Rains Trophy - the county boys' scratch matchplay - again beating Matt Bacon in the final, and was third overall in the Norfolk amateur order of merit.
'I've had a bit of a dodgy start to this year and haven't been playing that well. But it all came together today and that's a big boost for my confidence,' said Smith, who had five birdies in his round.
- 1 Tudor mansion for sale for £2.5m with link to magical Christmas tale
- 2 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 3 How has Wymondham recovered from its coronavirus spike?
- 4 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 5 'Such a shame' - youth football club targeted by criminals twice in two days
- 6 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 7 Howzat? Designer creates 3D printed cricket machine from Norfolk garage
- 8 Rough sleepers' plea to be 'kept inside' as council secures £635k funding
- 9 Carrot gold: Maverick painter swaps screwdriver for vegetable
- 10 Tea room to close for a week after coronavirus case confirmed
Previously a student at Wymondham College, the 18-year-old is now at Easton College on a golf scholarship, doing a BTEC in sports development.
Results - Boys' champion: 71 Jamie Smith (Easton College, Bawburgh), ocb Mathew Bacon (Easton College, Costessey Park).
75 Calum Slowther (City of Norwich School, Royal Norwich), ocb
Girls' champion: 75 Amber Ratcliffe (Sheringham High, Royal Cromer)
Boys' handicap champion: Jack Reeve (Ormesby Village Junior, Gt Yarmouth & Caister) 92-28-64, Jason Tudge (Neatherd High, Dereham) 88-23-65, Alex Bates (Northgate High, Dereham) 87-18-69
Girls' handicap champion: Emily Anthony (Wymondham College, Barnham Broom) 93-21-72
U14 champion: George Anthony (Wymondham College, Barnham Broom) 82-14-68, Dylan Green (Costessey High, Costessey Park) 92-21-71 ocb
Novices' champion: Luke Packard (Attleborough High, Richmond Park) 109-32-77.
Team champions: Easton College A - Matthew Bacon (Costessey Park) net 68, Aaron Bullock (Caldecott Hall) net 72, James Lawrence (The Norfolk) net 73.