Man’s window display tribute to parents’ wartime efforts
- Credit: Archant
A Wymondham man has decorated his front window with tributes to his parents and their efforts during the Second World War.
Nick Bennett has joined in the VE Day celebrations by sharing the story of his parents Howard and Gwefyl Bennett, who both came from St Davids, West Wales.
During the war, Mr Howard served in the Royal Air Force supporting troops in the jungle of Burma by dropping supplies to allied troops to counter the mobility of the Japanese army.
Mrs Bennett left home aged 14 to become a land girl, helping to farm and catch rats at RAF station Fairford.
Both received medals for their efforts, with Mr Bennett awarded the Burma Star medal.
Read more: Iconic Red Arrows to soar through Norfolk skies this VE DayRomance blossomed after the war at a well when Mr Bennett offered to carry back the buckets of water she had been collecting.
You may also want to watch:
To mark VE Day, their son has shared their story, pictures and medals in a window display in his house.
Read more: VE Day: How Norfolk celebrated on this day 75 years agoMr Bennett said: “My parents were from St Davids, West Wales, and they were rightly very proud of their contribution to the war effort. Dad joined the royal air force during the Second World War and was part of the “forgotten war” in the jungle of Burma. He dropped supplies from Dakotas (C-47) making it possible for allied troops to counter the mobility of the light travelling Japanese army.”
- 1 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 2 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 3 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 4 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 5 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 6 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 7 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 8 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 9 Norfolk sports retailer opens new fitness showroom
- 10 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham