Man’s window display tribute to parents’ wartime efforts
- Credit: Archant
A Wymondham man has decorated his front window with tributes to his parents and their efforts during the Second World War.
Nick Bennett has joined in the VE Day celebrations by sharing the story of his parents Howard and Gwefyl Bennett, who both came from St Davids, West Wales.
During the war, Mr Howard served in the Royal Air Force supporting troops in the jungle of Burma by dropping supplies to allied troops to counter the mobility of the Japanese army.
Mrs Bennett left home aged 14 to become a land girl, helping to farm and catch rats at RAF station Fairford.
Both received medals for their efforts, with Mr Bennett awarded the Burma Star medal.
Read more: Iconic Red Arrows to soar through Norfolk skies this VE DayRomance blossomed after the war at a well when Mr Bennett offered to carry back the buckets of water she had been collecting.
You may also want to watch:
To mark VE Day, their son has shared their story, pictures and medals in a window display in his house.
Read more: VE Day: How Norfolk celebrated on this day 75 years agoMr Bennett said: “My parents were from St Davids, West Wales, and they were rightly very proud of their contribution to the war effort. Dad joined the royal air force during the Second World War and was part of the “forgotten war” in the jungle of Burma. He dropped supplies from Dakotas (C-47) making it possible for allied troops to counter the mobility of the light travelling Japanese army.”
- 1 Charity shops see record sales and donations after reopening
- 2 Anorexic woman calls for BMI to be scrapped in assessing need for help
- 3 Under-50s to be called for vaccines as Moderna jab arrives in England
- 4 Charity's emergency appeal after losing £2.1m in pandemic
- 5 Deaf sheepdog returns to work - after learning sign language
- 6 Man to be sentenced over Wymondham arson
- 7 Excitement as businesses reopen across region as Covid restrictions ease
- 8 Man jailed after being found with over £6,500 worth of drugs
- 9 Health bosses step up effort to vaccinate vulnerable communities
- 10 Woman cut from car after crash on A11