Plans to replace sports pitch with car park poised for approval
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
Plans to remove a sports pitch from a town's leisure centre to make room for more parking have been recommended for approval by council officers.
Wymondham Town Council said it supported plans to remove an outdoor football pitch at Wymondham Leisure Centre in order to extend the car park at the facility.
The 3G pitch is currently open for bookings seven days a week, but South Norfolk Council said the facility had been made redundant by the new £1.2 million pitch at Ketts Park, which was opened by Norwich City striker Grant Holt in January.
It added that the Leisure Centre was in desperate need of additional parking and that the work would create 43 new spaces and extra outdoor lighting.
It is hoped the extra spaces will encourage more people to visit the leisure centre.
You may also want to watch:
The project will cost an estimated £83,600 and will be funded by Section 106 monies paid by housing developers.
South Norfolk Council's planning committee will decide whether to approve the scheme next week.
- 1 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 2 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 3 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 4 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 5 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 6 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 7 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 8 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 9 Norfolk sports retailer opens new fitness showroom
- 10 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham