Plans to replace sports pitch with car park poised for approval
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
Plans to remove a sports pitch from a town's leisure centre to make room for more parking have been recommended for approval by council officers.
Wymondham Town Council said it supported plans to remove an outdoor football pitch at Wymondham Leisure Centre in order to extend the car park at the facility.
The 3G pitch is currently open for bookings seven days a week, but South Norfolk Council said the facility had been made redundant by the new £1.2 million pitch at Ketts Park, which was opened by Norwich City striker Grant Holt in January.
It added that the Leisure Centre was in desperate need of additional parking and that the work would create 43 new spaces and extra outdoor lighting.
It is hoped the extra spaces will encourage more people to visit the leisure centre.
You may also want to watch:
The project will cost an estimated £83,600 and will be funded by Section 106 monies paid by housing developers.
South Norfolk Council's planning committee will decide whether to approve the scheme next week.
- 1 Your photos as blanket of snow covers Wymondham and Attleborough
- 2 Donations mean 13 vulnerable children will get laptops at home
- 3 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 4 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 5 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 6 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 7 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 8 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 30,000 people in Norfolk have received first Covid vaccine dose so far
- 10 Bird flu containment 'successfully completed' at infected turkey farms