Wymondham hunt outfoxed by weather
Hundreds of people crowded into Wymondham this week for the traditional Boxing Day gathering of the Dunston Harriers, despite the freezing conditions leading to the actual hunt being called off.
The solid icy ground meant it was too dangerous for the horses and hounds to take to the surrounding countryside, but members still carried out their annual town centre parade.
About 15 horses, their riders and a pack of hounds entered the Market Place at 11am on Monday.
The spectacle, mirrored in rural towns across the country, came as the government said more pressing issues meant the promised free vote on repealing the Hunting Act, which became law in 2005, would have to be postponed.
Brad Webb, master of the Dunston Harriers, said: 'It went very well - there was a good lot of people there. We had as many horses as we could get out although they have not been out in four weeks. We could not go hunting because the ground was so hard and frozen. We just went back to the car park.'
You may also want to watch:
On awaiting the Hunting Act vote, he added: 'There will be a vote and that's what we are all working towards. Obviously the government have got a lot to be worried about at the moment. This (the Hunting Act) is not trivial to us but it is trivial when you look at everything else going on.'
- 1 Tudor mansion for sale for £2.5m with link to magical Christmas tale
- 2 How has Wymondham recovered from its coronavirus spike?
- 3 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 4 Man who assaulted neighbour with bird bath told to get legal advice
- 5 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 6 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 7 Carrot gold: Maverick painter swaps screwdriver for vegetable
- 8 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 9 'Such a shame' - youth football club targeted by criminals twice in two days
- 10 Howzat? Designer creates 3D printed cricket machine from Norfolk garage