Wymondham bookmaker plans approved
A new betting shop will open in Wymondham town centre after councillors gave the move the thumbs up.
Members of South Norfolk Council's planning committee approved an application by Ladbrokes to move into a vacant retail premises at 7A Market Place.
A separate application for advertisement fascia and projecting signs was also given the green light at the meeting on Wednesday.
Despite Wymondham Town Council raising no opposition to the plans, five letters of objection were received from local residents who claimed another betting shop was not needed in the town centre and would not help increase the number of shoppers.
In a report which went before the committee, planning officers said Ladbrokes had argued that the number of retailers would still outweigh other types of business in the area and the arrival of a new betting shop would add to the vitality of the town centre.
You may also want to watch:
South Norfolk Council's own records show that about 65pc of premises in the town's primary shopping area are dedicated to retail use.
The report added: 'The predominant commercial premises within the primary shopping area continue to be retail and the conversion of the currently vacant premises from retail to a betting shop would not have an adverse impact on the overall vitality of the town centre.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 2 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 3 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 4 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 5 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 8 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 9 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 10 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote