Do you have the best Norfolk dad joke? Let's be havin' them!
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Over the years, Norfolk has become notorious for its unusual and smile-inducing place names – and quite honestly, we couldn’t be prouder.
From Stiffkey to Happisburgh, Wymondham to Costessey, the county’s weird and wonderful town and villages have lent themselves to numerous ditties and limericks.
So, inspired during the run-up to this year’s Norfolk Day – an event which takes place on July 27 every year - a talking newspaper urged its listeners to have a go themselves.
Tony Vale, chairman and co-editor of the Wymondham and Attleborough Talking Newspaper (WATN), said: “In the run-up to this year’s Norfolk Day, the WATN included a selection of Norfolk dad jokes on each of its weekly editions.
“Each joke included the name of a Norfolk town or village, and the WATN invited members of the public to make their own suggestions.”
You may also want to watch:
The team received a number of witty responses via social media, and have since shared them with their listeners. And while the Norfolk Dad Jokes segment has concluded, the team has decided to keep Dad Jokes as a regular feature.
Here are some of the best ones received so far:
- 1 Delivery grazing board and platter business started by Norfolk teen
- 2 Heartbroken parents’ appeal over final 13 hours before son’s death
- 3 New interior design and homeware shop opens in town
- 4 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 5 How are Norfolk donkeys helping to spark joy across the county?
- 6 'It's what they need to thrive': Butchers for dogs opens in town
- 7 Gym set to host fundraiser for brave youngster Logan
- 8 Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman returns to government
- 9 Met Office to appeal over refusal of 80ft 'golf ball' weather radar tower
- 10 Showers and clear spells in Norfolk and Waveney this week
- If you print your own banknotes it means that you are Fakenham.
- A horse that continually throws its ride is well used to Buckenham.
- Aylsham and North Walsham both have an Ellingham.
- If you have a job getting in your front door you must have a Stiffkey.
- The best tug of war competitors must come from Pulham.
- Once discharged from the hospital, it's good to move to Feltwell.
- Where's the best place to go after lunch? Eaton.
- Where do you shop for expensive meat? Dereham.
- I was told that I was going to have to live on a wartime airfield. I was Seething.
- I was late for work today. My Carbrooke.
- Which Norfolk village has the creepiest crawlies? Beetley.
- Wellies are the most uncomfortable footwear and walking is Hardingham.
- If you fall down Wells you Holt when you get to the Bodham.
For more information about Wymondham and Attleborough Talking Newspaper, or to submit a Dad Joke of your own, visit www.watn.org.uk.