Wymondham 10K: Hundreds of runners start new year in style as Tripp and Watkinson taste success
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Nearly 700 runners shrugged off the excesses of the festive season to take part in the Wymondham 10K on New Year's Day.
Suffolk athlete Alex Tripp took victory with a new personal best of 31:46, well ahead of any of his rivals. Deestriders' Steve Hayes was second in 32:54 with Kirk Bagge, now competing for the City of Norwich AC after recently leaving Wymondham AC, third in 34:12 - a new PB.
Wymondham AC's Juliette Watkinson, who won the Sportlink Grand Prix Series last year, won the women's event as she broke 38 minutes for the first time, coming home in 37:43.
Charlotte Neale (North Norfolk Beach Runners) was second in 38:10, taking two seconds off her personal best set at least year's event, whilst Lauren Howe (CoNAC) was third in 38:15 (new PB).
A total of 662 runners took part in the event, organised by Wymondham AC.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 2 Egg and Spud Man's delivery service booms in lockdown
- 3 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 4 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 5 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 6 Norwich teacher questions home secretary over Covid policy in schools
- 7 Council agrees u-turn on churchyard grass cutting
- 8 Date for museum's reopening 'pencilled in' after missing whole 2020 season
- 9 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 10 New Covid variant has 'higher degree of mortality', warns PM