Vandals spray ‘ugly’ on newly-built houses
- Credit: Archant
Villagers have expressed their shock after two newly-built houses were vandalised, with the word 'ugly' spray painted a number of times over them.
Orange and black spray paint has been used on the windows, brickwork and garage of the houses, which are currently up for sale on Castle Hill Road, New Buckenham.
It is believed the incident took place sometime on Thursday night or early Friday morning and 'back tomorrow' has been written on the garage.
Some residents have said the four-bedroom houses were unpopular in the village due to their size.
They said people had wanted to see smaller and affordable homes to enable young people to remain in the area.
You may also want to watch:
Others said their design was not suited to the village.
Built one the site of the former Castle Hill Garage, they are listed on Right Move at £595,000.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 3 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 4 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 5 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 6 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 7 How you can create a hedgehog haven
- 8 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 9 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
- 10 'A whirlwind' - how 19-year-old became baking sensation in lockdown
One resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said: 'I cannot believe that anyone in the village had that much hatred. I can't imagine anyone doing that.'
They added: 'Villagers wanted smaller and affordable houses for young people so they would stay in the village. I think there was general disappointment.'
Work is still being carried out inside the properties.
Another resident, who did not want to be named, said: 'They are not the greatest looking houses but they were a hell of a lot better than the garage that was there before.
'It is so strange and it does not make sense. I cannot think of anyone who would do it. It is not that type of village.'
The added: 'If you hated them, just put a placard in the garden saying that, don't spray paint them.'
New Buckenham Parish Council recommended refusal for the application in March last year.
It stated a number of reasons including poor design, saying the houses would be 'out of keeping with the conservation area'.
In the design and access statement for the application, it said: 'The development is sympathetic to its site and surroundings and seeks to ensure proposals respect and enhance the character of the site and contribute to local distinctiveness.'
The applicant did not wish to comment.
The incident has been reported to the police.