Third generation of publicans take over village pub
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
A third generation of publicans are off to a flying start after taking over the reins at a Norfolk pub.
Daniel and Jenny Leeder are one month into running the King's Head in New Buckenham, an occupation taken on by his parents and grandparents before them.
The former Royal Marine and nurse returned to Norfolk with their three-year-old daughter Poppy last year and decided to run the pub after it was offered to them just before Christmas.
'It was always something we wanted to do,' said Jenny, 33, 'but we didn't think it would happen this quickly.'
'Dan was medically discharged from the Royal Marines last summer and I still work as a nurse at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital but when it was offered to us we hit the ground running.'
You may also want to watch:
Jenny first began working in pubs as a teenager where she was employed as a dish washer for Daniel's parents at the Old Bell in Saham Toney, near Watton.
They eventually sold that pub and took on the White Hart near Attleborough and she followed them.
- 1 Just 65 people vote in referendum on town council's future
- 2 Certificates for Wymondham in Bloom floral displays announced
- 3 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 4 Teenager has all clear from testicular cancer after pioneering surgery
- 5 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Wymondham raises flag ahead of Norwich Pride 2021
- 8 Headteacher 'delighted' as new space created for primary school
- 9 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 10 Horse found with maggot-infested wounds wins rosette at equestrian show
She and Daniel eventually married and spent four and a half years living on the south coast before coming home.
'There's a big family connection to the area and we've come back to his old stomping ground,' said Jenny.
Daniel's mum, Sally-Ann Leeder, also helps at the pub and the couple's nephew, Cameron Hennessey, works in the kitchen.
His aunt and uncle also own the King's Store in New Buckenham and Daniel's grandmother, Pauline Cattermole, still lives in the village as she used to run The Sun in nearby Old Buckenham.
Jenny added: 'I married in to this family and we are now the third generation stepping into the shoes of running a pub.
'Our little girl goes to the local preschool here and we are one month in and have had a flying start.
'I still work as a nurse one day a week as I worked really hard for my registration and don't want to give that up.'
The King's Head also boasts a restaurant and five bed and breakfast rooms with prices starting from £80.