Store opening offers Wymondham jobs boost
Wymondham is set for a jobs boost next month when a national food retailer opens a supermarket at the former Woolworths store.The ex-Woolies in the Market Place has been empty since the New Year when the historic high street retailer went into administration.
Wymondham is set for a jobs boost next month when a national food retailer opens a supermarket at the former Woolworths store.
The ex-Woolies in the Market Place has been empty since the New Year when the historic high street retailer went into administration.
But 20 new jobs are set to be created in the town after the Co-operative announced that it would be turning the shop into a supermarket.
Work has already begun on the �600,000 transformation of the former Woolworths, which will result in the closure of the Somerfield store in Market Street, which is owned by the Co-operative Group.
You may also want to watch:
The 22 Somerfield staff will transfer to the new supermarket sometime next month, with another 20 additional workers set to be recruited.
Officials from the Co-operative said they planned to let out the Somerfield store in Market Street following the relocation. It follows the �1.5bn acquisition of the supermarket chain by the Co-operative Group last year.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 4 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 5 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 6 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 7 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Norfolk airfield to host testing of 'world-first' electric plane
- 9 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 10 Car dealership next to doctor's surgery given go-ahead
Co-operative regional manager Richard Waddington said a date for the opening had not yet been set, but would happen in November.
'This is a significant investment in Wymondham by the Co-operative. Our new store is more than twice the size of the Somerfield store and will provide a much enhanced service, meeting all the community's daily food shopping needs.'
'I am confident local people will be delighted with their new facility and, furthermore, in the best traditions of the Co-operative, we will play our part in community life,' he said.