Building firm’s bid to inspire engineers of the future
- Credit: Archant
A building firm aimed to inspire the next generation of engineers by inviting school students to look around its high-tech facilities.
Sixth form students from Attleborough Academy were given a behind the scenes tour of the RG Carter site, which included viewing 3D printing, a soil and concrete testing laboratory and drilling demonstration.
They were also given a presentation on careers in the industry, which highlighted employment opportunities available in civil engineering, ground engineering and site investigation.
Ivan Groom, director at RG Carter, believes visits like this are helpful in shaping students' future career choices, saying: 'We are dedicated to engaging with young people in the community, helping them learn more about a career in engineering.
'Through the links we have built up with local schools and colleges, students are now becoming aware of the extensive opportunities available within the sector.'
You may also want to watch:
Carmina McConnell, assistant principal at Attleborough Academy, said: 'Our students will make up the workplace of the future so it's great that organisations like R G Carter open their doors to demonstrate the roles and specific skills required in such a diverse industry.'
RG Carter's £14m engineering facility opened in November 2017 bringing together the company's ground investigation, design, piling and civil engineering teams to one site. It is home to a UKAS accredited testing laboratory - one of the best equipped facilities in East Anglia.
- 1 Decision due over controversial plans for 200 new homes
- 2 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 3 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 4 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 5 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 6 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 7 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 8 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 9 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham
- 10 Amazing drone footage shows Flying Scotsman travelling through Norfolk