Photo gallery: Old Buckenham Airshow gets off to a flying start with Spitfires set to star today
- Credit: Archant
Crowds turned out in the sunny weather to enjoy the first day of the Old Buckenham Airshow yesterday.
Displays were held on a Saturday for only the second time in the show's history and Matt Wilkins, the airshow manager, said the numbers attending were similar to the first Saturday flying, held in 2012.
He added: 'It looked to me that we did the same numbers yesterday as the first Saturday we did, which was in 2012.
'It went fabulously well and it was obviously great weather as well, which helped. The displays were fantastic.'
The action startedat 10am when there were pleasure flights and trial lessons, followed at noon by the opening of the beer festival and lunch served in the VIP enclosure and at Jimmy's.
You may also want to watch:
From 2pm until 3.30pm, the air display took place with performances by a Vans RV8, Yak 52, a Bulldog and The Wildcats display team.
There was also a 1943 Beechcroft Staggerwing flown by Nigel Willson and Brendan O'Brien's Flying Circus, which featured a world record attempt for a truck top landing and there will be a repeat attempt today.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 2 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 3 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 4 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 6 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 7 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 8 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 10 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
Today, the airshow will be between 1pm and 4pm and centre stage will go to two film stars- the Spitfire MH434, a plane famous for its military and Hollywood careers, having appeared in blockbusters including A Bridge Too Far, Battle of Britain and Hope and Glory.
Sister plane Ferocious Frankie will also be performing, which starred in Saving Private Ryan, Empire of the Sun and Memphis Belle.
Don't miss Monday's EDP for a 12-page picture special, featuring the best of Norfolk's weekend events.