New des res set to attract bats
BIRD and bat boxes have been installed at a Wymondham nature reserve to celebrate national nest box week. This year's annual event is launched today by the British Trust for Ornithology.
BIRD and bat boxes have been installed at a Wymondham nature reserve to celebrate national nest box week.
This year's annual event is launched today by the British Trust for Ornithology.
The scheme was instigated in 1997 because many natural nest sites that wild birds depend on, such as holes in trees
and buildings, have disappeared. And Ann Roberts, warden at the Tolls Meadow reserve, and her team of volunteers made sure their boxes were put up in good time.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Although Tolls Meadow is a fen or water meadow, it has a corner of woodland adjacent to Wymondham town's cemetery. The cemetery has hundreds of mature trees so together this provides a good habitat for nesting birds and roosting bats.
“Volunteers worked hard to put up the boxes on a frosty, foggy morning this week. This is the first time this site has had nesting boxes, so I hope the birds will soon find shelter out of the cold. We also have five species of bats on and around the reserve so it is hoped the bat boxes will also become inhabited.”
- 1 Primary pupils thrilled by book donation
- 2 Cattle farmers and butchers create super-local food chain
- 3 Bakeaholics teen owner buys herself a whopping new kitchen
- 4 WATCH: Speedy Eva, 81, runs fastest mile on record for her age group
- 5 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 6 Cyclists set for 112-mile night ride in aid of 'always happy' Olivia, 7
- 7 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Norfolk
- 9 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 10 Teens hurt and bike and e-scooter stolen in double robbery
The boxes were provided by Wymondham Arts Forum, as part of the Tiffey Trails project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund and other funders.