Moped ride from Spooner Row is a tribute to well-loved teenager
- Credit: Archant
A team of moped riders from Norfolk are gearing up for their most epic charity challenge to date.
This week 20 vintage mopeds will set off from Spooner Row as their riders embark on a 600-mile ride to the north of England and back in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust.
And as the members of the Spooner Row Half Hundret Club travel up to Yorkshire and back, they will be spurred on by the memory of a teenager who died last year.
Maisie Colquhoun died in November at the age of 17 and had been treated on the Teenage Cancer Trust ward at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.
Her father, Iain Colquhoun, is a founding member of the Spooner Row Half Hundret Club, which is embarking on its fifth and largest moped ride to date, starting in the early hours of Friday.
You may also want to watch:
The 20-strong group will pass through 12 counties and cover up to 150 miles a day. Since 2010, previous charity rides have seen up to nine riders take part in each one, raising £40,000 for charity so far.
David Nickalls, from the club, said: 'This is our most ambitious ride so far, inspired by the wonderful Maisie who I knew from birth.'
- 1 New Toolstation branch coming to market town?
- 2 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 3 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 4 £4.8m funding to tackle scourge of drugs in Norwich
- 5 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Concerns raised over proposed energy park's impact on wildlife
- 8 Flooding fears recede in Norfolk but wind warning issued
- 9 'We won't throw away masks or anti-bac': Couple book post-vaccine holiday
- 10 Inquests into deaths at Banham Poultry adjourned for seventh time
The club's name is a reflection on how the word 'hundred' is said in Norfolk. The group hopes to raise £5,000 from their ride.
To make a donation visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/SpoonerRowHHC