Award winning 14-year-old raises thousands with latin dance evening
- Credit: Archant
More than £3,000 was raised at a dance event organised by an award winning 14-year-old.
Ezara-Mai Downes, who won a Diana Award earlier this year for her community work, put together the event, Latin Live, to combine her twin passions - dance and fundraising for Great Ormund Street Children's Hospital.
Hosted by veteran dance instructor Donna Pool, it included a masterclass dance session, and demonstrations from Laura Robinson and Richard Lifshitz.
The evening, held at Wymondham Central Hall, proved so popular another date has been set of October 12, 2019.
Ezara-Mai's mum, Lorna Downes, said: 'For me it was overwhelming. She's got so many people who want to come next year.
'Obviously I'm really proud of her achievments and how hard she works every single night towards her goals of fundraising. I'm just a very proud mum. She gives all her time to charity.'
Ezara-Mai Downes has an extremely rare condition called Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM) which affects the muscles and skin and can cause a range of symptoms, the worst of which is extreme muscle pain.
- 1 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 2 A11 closure to continue as roadworks finally begin
- 3 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 4 Pro dancer transforms Norfolk barber's shop into a new pilates studio
- 5 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 6 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 7 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recessions, a fire and a pandemic: Landlords look back on 20 years at pub
- 10 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
Ezara-Mai has raised more than £11,000 for Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH), who have cared for her condition since her diagnosis.
Eventually she would like to raise £100,000 by the year 2025. On top of this she is an award-winning dancer, and has picked up numerous prizes.