Hitchcock masterpiece at Regal
ALFRED Hitchcock's masterpiece, Rear Window, will be the Regal Experience Group's next classic screening at the old Wymondham Regal, now part of the local Ex-Services' Club on Sunday, June 28 (2.
ALFRED Hitchcock's masterpiece, Rear Window, will be the Regal Experience Group's next classic screening at the old Wymondham Regal, now part of the local Ex-Services' Club on Sunday, June 28 (2.30pm).
Made in 1954, Rear Window, which stars James Stewart and Grace Kelly, is an unusual thriller with gripping suspense and first-rate acting. Two years after the film was released, Grace Kelly married Prince Rainier of Monaco and virtually retired from acting.
During world war two the popular Stewart, start of such other movies as The Philadelphia Story and It's a Wonderful Life as well as numerous Westerns, was based in South Norfolk with the 8th US Army Air Force. He arrived at Tibbenham in 1943 to become Commanding Officer of the 703rd Squadron of the 445th Bomb Group with whom he flew 20 combat missions. In March 1944 he transferred to the 453rd Bomb Group at Old Buckenham, then from July 1944 he spent the rest of the war as Chief of Staff, later Commander, of the 2nd Combat Bomb Wing at Ketteringham Hall - finishing off as a Colonel.
The supporting film, Work in Progress, made in 1951, documents public transport - trains, buses and ships - at that time. It's a real nostalgic trip down memory lane!
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for the show at the old Wymondham Regal on Sunday, June 28, 2.30pm, are available from Maureen Dodman on 01953 605593 or Michael Armstrong on 01953 403246 and at the Wymondham Heritage Museum. Prices are �4.50, concessions �3.50.
- 1 Former factory site to become a new church
- 2 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 3 Woodforde's takes over Old Buckenham pub closed for two years
- 4 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 8 See inside this restored period farmhouse for sale for £850,000
- 9 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 10 Chainsaw and 10 horse saddles stolen in burglary