Dental nurse from Hingham is Uganda bound on charity mission
- Credit: Archant
A dental nurse from Hingham is set to embark on a life-changing volunteer expedition to Uganda.
Sarah Drew, 35, plans to travel to the east African country in September with a team of 10 other dentists, hygienists, nurses and therapists. The group will spend two weeks offering crucial support to those who need it most, working with the charity organisation, Dentaid.
Mrs Drew needs to raise £2,100 to confirm her place on the trip, which she is planning to do through a number of fundraising events, as well as asking for donations.
Mrs Drew, who has been a dental nurse for 18 years, said she jumped at the opportunity to volunteer.
She said: 'Dental care should be available for everyone around the world and this trip will see me helping more disadvantaged communities in Uganda, providing chair-side assistance as well oral health education.
You may also want to watch:
'This will be a life-changing adventure for the patients that we see and for myself, also. It is something that I feel incredibly passionate about and would love your support, if you feel you are in a position to help.'
The team will be helping provide basic pain relief dentistry, including fissure sealant treatments and oral health education.
- 1 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 2 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 3 £4.8m funding to tackle scourge of drugs in Norwich
- 4 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 5 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Flooding fears recede in Norfolk but wind warning issued
- 8 'We won't throw away masks or anti-bac': Couple book post-vaccine holiday
- 9 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 10 Tree falls on rail line as winds up to 69mph hit Norfolk
The fundraising has already started with a gingerbread display going on show in the Sandringham Cafe and Restaurant, with proceeds going to her Dentaid fund.
She added: 'This will be a very challenging but rewarding adventure and your support would mean everything to me as well as all the people that I'll be able to help.'
One of the others on the trip will be Mrs Drew's friend, Amii-Rose Steward, 28, from Dersingham in north-west Norfolk.
To support Mrs Drew's journey through fundraising ideas or sponsorship, visit mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/sarahdrew1.
You can find out more about the work of Dentaid at www.dentaid.org