Connaught Hall 'has not been sold'
Charity trustees this week sought to allay rumours that the Connaught Hall in Attleborough has been sold. The building in Station Road is a popular venue for a wide variety of functions, ranging from dances and fashion shows to table top sales.
Charity trustees this week sought to allay rumours that the Connaught Hall in Attleborough has been sold.
The building in Station Road is a popular venue for a wide variety of functions, ranging from dances and fashion shows to table top sales.
And chairman of trustees, Peter Thatcher, said worried brides who have booked the hall for their wedding day celebrations later this year are among those who have phoned up asking if they should make alternative arrangements.
“I have been told we have sold the hall for £2.1 million and that the NHS and everyone under the sun has bought it. We want to squash all these rumours that are flying around, because it is not good for us,” he said.
Mr Thatcher explained that the premises “belong to the people of Attleborough” and are managed by the trustees. And although there had been some financial problems last year, these have now been resolved.
“We have turned the hall around in the last six months. It has not been sold, and it's not up for sale,” he stressed, adding that the trustees had even had an approach from a property developer keen to acquire the site.
- 1 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 2 A11 closure to continue as roadworks finally begin
- 3 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 4 Pro dancer transforms Norfolk barber's shop into a new pilates studio
- 5 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 6 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 7 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Church with planning permission for home conversion up for auction
- 10 Recessions, a fire and a pandemic: Landlords look back on 20 years at pub
He added: “At the moment the Attleborough is looking for more sports facilities. Basically I feel that we have the space to accommodate something like tennis courts for the town.”