Cash machine gang members jailed
A gang who raided cash machines in Norfolk and across the country in a nationwide crime spree were on Friday jailed for up to five years each.Danny Dempsey and his gang, who enjoyed regular seaside breaks in Norfolk and Devon to help unwind between 'jobs', targeted mainly railway stations, service stations and drive-through restaurants.
A gang who raided cash machines in Norfolk and across the country in a nationwide crime spree were on Friday jailed for up to five years each.
Danny Dempsey and his gang, who enjoyed regular seaside breaks in Norfolk and Devon to help unwind between 'jobs', targeted mainly railway stations, service stations and drive-through restaurants.
Armed with angle grinders and crowbars, the hooded crooks usually operated in teams and carried out several 'professional' raids a night. On a number of occasions, rather than take just the contents, they stole the whole ATM.
They targeted the cash machine at Banham Zoo on August 14, 2007, and the zoo's director Martin Goymour said: 'I'm pleased the culprits have finally been brought to justice, however long it took.
'We had a cash machine in the entrance to our gift shop for the benefit of our customers and they left it in a real mess. They used angle grinders to take it apart and rip the guts out of it. Thankfully, there was only a few hundred pounds in it, so we were lucky.'
London's Southwark Crown Court heard on Friday that, by the end of their seven-month rampage in January last year, they had carried out 24 raids, pocketing an estimated �200,000.
- 1 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 2 A11 closure to continue as roadworks finally begin
- 3 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 4 Pro dancer transforms Norfolk barber's shop into a new pilates studio
- 5 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 6 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 7 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recessions, a fire and a pandemic: Landlords look back on 20 years at pub
- 10 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
In the dock with 41-year-old Dempsey, who got five years, were Richard Billington, 28 (three years), Ricky Mayo, 26 (four years), Christopher Skuce, 29 (five years), Jason Worsley, 28 (three years), and Craig Robinson, 25 (four years).
All are from east London and Essex and admitted one count of conspiracy to steal.
Co-defendant, Trevor Glover, 33, from Leyton, who went on the run halfway through his trial and was convicted in his absence, and another gang member, Tommy Williams, 29, of Walthamstow, who is also being hunted, are yet to be sentenced.