Cards cloned at Wymondham cashpoint
A building society customer was shocked to become the victim of a card cloning device at a cash point opposite Norfolk police headquarters.Cynthia Skeet had £900 taken out of her Nationwide account after using a cash machine outside Waitrose in Wymondham.
A building society customer was shocked to become the victim of a card cloning device at a cash point opposite Norfolk police headquarters.
Cynthia Skeet had £900 taken out of her Nationwide account after using a cash machine outside Waitrose in Wymondham.
She discovered her card had been “skimmed” after finding that she did not have sufficient funds in her account to make a withdrawal.
Mrs Skeet said she last used her card at a cash machine outside Waitrose last Friday. After trying unsuccessfully to withdraw money from her account on Monday, she went into her Nationwide branch in Wymondham and was told that £300 had been taken out of her account on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
Nationwide staff immediately stopped Mrs Skeet's card and she has been told she will get a full refund.
“When I realised what had happened my eyes filled up and I had a sickening feeling in my stomach,” she said.
- 1 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 2 A11 closure to continue as roadworks finally begin
- 3 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 4 Pro dancer transforms Norfolk barber's shop into a new pilates studio
- 5 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 6 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 7 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recessions, a fire and a pandemic: Landlords look back on 20 years at pub
- 10 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
“When I was in Nationwide I found out that I wasn't the only one this had happened to. I was the third customer. The young girl I saw put it down to the cash machines at Waitrose. Everyone had clarified that this was the last place where they had use their cards.”
She added: “I just want to make people aware of this and to encourage them to check their accounts regularly. I know this happens all over the place, but the irony of it is that this was just opposite the police headquarters.”
Waitrose Wymondham branch manger Steve Dowall said: “While the security of the cash machines are the responsibility of the banks concerned, we did alert the police of this matter and are supporting them with their inquiries.”
A Norfolk police spokesman said they are aware of the incident and are investigating.