Cards cloned at Wymondham cashpoint
A building society customer was shocked to become the victim of a card cloning device at a cash point opposite Norfolk police headquarters.Cynthia Skeet had £900 taken out of her Nationwide account after using a cash machine outside Waitrose in Wymondham.
A building society customer was shocked to become the victim of a card cloning device at a cash point opposite Norfolk police headquarters.
Cynthia Skeet had £900 taken out of her Nationwide account after using a cash machine outside Waitrose in Wymondham.
She discovered her card had been “skimmed” after finding that she did not have sufficient funds in her account to make a withdrawal.
Mrs Skeet said she last used her card at a cash machine outside Waitrose last Friday. After trying unsuccessfully to withdraw money from her account on Monday, she went into her Nationwide branch in Wymondham and was told that £300 had been taken out of her account on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Nationwide staff immediately stopped Mrs Skeet's card and she has been told she will get a full refund.
“When I realised what had happened my eyes filled up and I had a sickening feeling in my stomach,” she said.
- 1 Former factory site to become a new church
- 2 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 3 Woodforde's takes over Old Buckenham pub closed for two years
- 4 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 5 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 8 See inside this restored period farmhouse for sale for £850,000
- 9 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 10 Chainsaw and 10 horse saddles stolen in burglary
“When I was in Nationwide I found out that I wasn't the only one this had happened to. I was the third customer. The young girl I saw put it down to the cash machines at Waitrose. Everyone had clarified that this was the last place where they had use their cards.”
She added: “I just want to make people aware of this and to encourage them to check their accounts regularly. I know this happens all over the place, but the irony of it is that this was just opposite the police headquarters.”
Waitrose Wymondham branch manger Steve Dowall said: “While the security of the cash machines are the responsibility of the banks concerned, we did alert the police of this matter and are supporting them with their inquiries.”
A Norfolk police spokesman said they are aware of the incident and are investigating.