Community shocked as body is found in village playing field
- Credit: Archant
A community has reacted with shock after a man's body was found in a village park.
Police were called to Bunwell, near Attleborough, at about 11.40am on Friday, October 26 after reports a body had been found at the edge of the playing field next to the village hall.
The area was sealed off while initial enquiries were carried out. Officers have now confirmed there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the man's death.
Anna Easton, of Larkins Close, Bunwell, was with a baby and toddler group at the village hall when the body was discovered.
She said: 'I ran into the village hall where we run our group for help. Obviously people were quite sad about it.
'People don't expect things like that to happen in a small village. It wasn't very nice.'
Her husband, district councillor Charles Easton, said: 'Obviously it's a very unusual occurrence in Bunwell and very tragic for everyone involved, the man and his family, and the parents who had to witness it.
- 1 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 2 Recessions, a fire and a pandemic: Landlords look back on 20 years at pub
- 3 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 4 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 5 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 6 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 7 Church with planning permission for home conversion up for auction
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Tractor stopped on A11 found to have faulty brakes
- 10 A11 bus service diverted as ongoing roadworks cause severe delays
'It puts all our daily troubles into perspective when something like this happens.'
A police spokesman said that a file will be prepared for the coroner in due course, and that no further information about the man will be released at this time.
County councillor for Bunwell, Beverley Spratt, said: 'I don't know what happened but obviously it's very sad for the people who found him.
'Nothing like this has ever happened in Bunwell before.'
A post mortem will be performed in due course, followed by an inquest into the death and a full hearing at a time yet to be established.
The village of Bunwell was recorded as having slightly more than 1,000 residents in the 2011 census, and is near to several neighbouring villages such as Tacolneston and Old Buckenham.
Its village hall, located on The Turnpike B1113, is the heart of the community, providing a meeting place for various social groups in the village including a soft play group and the Women's Institute, and as a facility for Bunwell Primary School.