Community shocked as body is found in village playing field
- Credit: Archant
A community has reacted with shock after a man's body was found in a village park.
Police were called to Bunwell, near Attleborough, at about 11.40am on Friday, October 26 after reports a body had been found at the edge of the playing field next to the village hall.
The area was sealed off while initial enquiries were carried out. Officers have now confirmed there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the man's death.
Anna Easton, of Larkins Close, Bunwell, was with a baby and toddler group at the village hall when the body was discovered.
She said: 'I ran into the village hall where we run our group for help. Obviously people were quite sad about it.
You may also want to watch:
'People don't expect things like that to happen in a small village. It wasn't very nice.'
Her husband, district councillor Charles Easton, said: 'Obviously it's a very unusual occurrence in Bunwell and very tragic for everyone involved, the man and his family, and the parents who had to witness it.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 2 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 3 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 4 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 5 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 8 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 9 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 10 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
'It puts all our daily troubles into perspective when something like this happens.'
A police spokesman said that a file will be prepared for the coroner in due course, and that no further information about the man will be released at this time.
County councillor for Bunwell, Beverley Spratt, said: 'I don't know what happened but obviously it's very sad for the people who found him.
'Nothing like this has ever happened in Bunwell before.'
A post mortem will be performed in due course, followed by an inquest into the death and a full hearing at a time yet to be established.
The village of Bunwell was recorded as having slightly more than 1,000 residents in the 2011 census, and is near to several neighbouring villages such as Tacolneston and Old Buckenham.
Its village hall, located on The Turnpike B1113, is the heart of the community, providing a meeting place for various social groups in the village including a soft play group and the Women's Institute, and as a facility for Bunwell Primary School.