Bid to avoid town gridlock during nine weeks of roadworks
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Changes have been made to planned work on the latest phase of £4.5m transport improvements in Attleborough in an effort to minimise disruption.
As part of the ongoing Transport for Attleborough project, work will start on Monday September 2 to improve the junction of busy junction of High Street and Exchange Street.
It will take around nine weeks and once complete the changes will allow traffic to flow more smoothly and make it easier for pedestrians to cross the road.
The work will include providing new pedestrian crossing points and the widening of Connaught Road near to the High Street junction to allow for two lanes of traffic, and removing the need for vehicles to merge into one lane.
It will also include amending the junction alignment outside of the hairdressers to make it easier for large vehicles to turn into High Street from Connaught Road, and the replacing sections of footway paving slabs to eliminate the maintenance problems.
READ MORE: Town braced for more traffic disruption in latest phase of £4.5m projectThe Transport for Attleborough project, which started in September 2018, has previously come under fire from residents.
You may also want to watch:
During work to Surrogate Street, which was widened and converted to two-way traffic, the town suffered gridlock with drivers were left queuing for up to an hour while businesses said it caused a drop in footfall.
READ MORE: Motorists complain of delays after hour long queues to reach town centreThe latest phase of the project follows a public consultation with letters having been sent to residents and businesses asking for their feedback on the plans.
As a consequence the planned work at the High Street and Exchange Street junction has been amended.
- 1 Primary pupils thrilled by book donation
- 2 Cattle farmers and butchers create super-local food chain
- 3 WATCH: Speedy Eva, 81, runs fastest mile on record for her age group
- 4 Cyclists set for 112-mile night ride in aid of 'always happy' Olivia, 7
- 5 Bakeaholics teen owner buys herself a whopping new kitchen
- 6 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 7 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Norfolk
- 9 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 10 Parkruns return to Norfolk for first time since Covid
A Norfolk County Council spokesman said: "After feedback from local people and the county councillor we have carefully amended earlier plans which would have seen traffic lights installed at the junction. This also means the pedestrian crossing on the high street just south of the junction will remain in place."
READ MORE: Calls to end free parking in Norfolk town as £4.5m traffic overhaul continuesFor safety reasons vehicles will be prevented from joining London Road from Connaught Road for the duration of the project. Those travelling from London Road to the town centre will be unaffected.
The resurfacing of the Connaught Road/Exchange Street/High Street junction will be carried out over one weekend towards the end of October to minimise disruption but will see the junction closed to all traffic.
A signed diversion route will be in place and 'businesses open as usual' signs will be used during both road closures.