Town braced for more traffic disruption in latest phase of £4.5m project
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Motorists in a Norfolk town are braced for more disruption as the second phase of a £4.5m improvement project gets underway.
Transport for Attleborough aims to resolve problems with the road and transport networks, help people get into and around the town centre and try to prevent further congestion from increasing traffic levels from planned development.
The latest £550,000 phase of the project will run throughout the summer and will include improvements to the busy High Street and Exchange Street junction, which will be realigned to help cut queuing on the High Street.
It will begin on Monday, July 8 with work to create more spaces in the Queens Square car park, expected to take around eight weeks.
For the majority of the work about half of the car park will remain open, however it be fully closed for resurfacing towards the end of the programme.
READ MORE: Calls to end free parking in Norfolk town as £4.5m traffic overhaul continuesWork on the High Street and Exchange Street improvements will then start on September 2 and is expected to take up to 10 weeks to complete.
You may also want to watch:
High Street will remain fully accessible to pedestrians and all traffic from an eastbound direction during this work but it will be closed to westbound traffic from Connaught Road with a signed diversion in place.
A temporary 7.5 tonne weight restriction will also be in place on Connaught Road with drivers directed to use a temporary diversion route.
- 1 Just 65 people vote in referendum on town council's future
- 2 Certificates for Wymondham in Bloom floral displays announced
- 3 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 4 Teenager has all clear from testicular cancer after pioneering surgery
- 5 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Wymondham raises flag ahead of Norwich Pride 2021
- 8 Headteacher 'delighted' as new space created for primary school
- 9 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 10 Horse found with maggot-infested wounds wins rosette at equestrian show
Horse Pit Car Park will also be temporarily closed for up to 18 weeks from July 8 so it can be used for storage and parking by contractors carrying out the work.
READ MORE: Motorists complain of delays after hour long queues to reach town centreThis new phase of the project follows a public consultation with letters having been sent to residents and businesses asking for their feedback on the plans.
The Transport for Attleborough project, which started in September 2018, has previously come under-fire from residents.
During work to Surrogate Street, which was widened and converted to two-way traffic with Church Street and Connaught Road junctions realigned, temporary traffic lights led to drivers queueing for up to an hour to get through town. Businesses said it caused a drop in footfall.
Norfolk County Council said Transport for Attleborough will reduce congestion and the number vehicles in the centre, and improve pedestrian safety in the town.
They added: "Norfolk County Council and Breckland Council thank people for their patience while these improvement works are carried out."