'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- Credit: IAN BURT
As presenter of The Weakest Link, Anne Robinson earned herself a reputation for her acid tongue and harsh put-downs.
And it appears she is not planning on turning her back on this approach in the host's chair of Countdown either - as a Norfolk contestant learned.
On a recent episode of the words and numbers game, Ms Robinson turned her focus to Norfolk, comparing the county to a "cold and desolate" land.
At the start of Monday's programme Ms Robinson asked ice breaker questions to the two contestants.
When Ms Robinson focused on Norfolk contestant Sue they spoke about travelling.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Robinson asked: "Where's the most exciting place you've been to?"
Contestant Sue replied: "Antarctica. It was absolutely fabulous."
- 1 'It's what they need to thrive': Butchers for dogs opens in town
- 2 Met Office to appeal over refusal of 80ft 'golf ball' weather radar tower
- 3 One in eight Breckland adults yet to receive Covid vaccine
- 4 How are Norfolk donkeys helping to spark joy across the county?
- 5 New interior design and homeware shop opens in town
- 6 Draconid meteor shower to be visible over Norfolk next month
- 7 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 8 Showers and clear spells in Norfolk and Waveney this week
- 9 A11 closed after lorry crashes into central reservation
- 10 Food hygiene rating at kebab shop jumps from 1 to 5 stars
The host asked the contestant whether it was cold and desolate, to which Sue replied, "yes, although when I was there it was warmer in Antarctica than it was in the UK, which was very disappointing."
Ms Robinson responded: "Well, you're used to it, aren't you? Coming from Norfolk."
The contestant laughed it off and tried to protest that Norfolk was actually sunny, but the hard-boiled host had already moved on by beginning the first round.
Contestant Sue failed to topple her opponent, but at least she has sunny Norfolk to return to.