Award-winning Norfolk historian shares images of historic market town
- Credit: Philip Yaxley Collection
The people of Wymondham gathered last month to watch as the town’s “ambassador” was presented with a Civic Award.. a proud day for Philip Yaxley, his family and friends.
Over the years he has written books and articles for our newspapers, helped to bring the cinema back to the town, and for 54 years has been a member of the Wymondham Heritage Society.
And so much more… not to mention table tennis and cricket!
A brilliant historian Wymondham-born Philip went to Browick Road Junior School and then Thetford Grammar School before joining Norwich Union.
Now in his 80s he has selected some of his favourite photographs from his vast collection to share with our readers.
Across Norfolk we are fortunate to have some wonderful market towns, large and small, from Diss to King’s Lynn and from Downham Market to Great Yarmouth.
Our towns all have great stories to tell and while times have changed, and continue to do so, it is important to remember times gone by.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Road closed in mid Norfolk after electrical cables catch fire
- 3 Man accused of £3.5m whiskey theft due back in court
- 4 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 5 Football club treasurer stole funds to pay for slimming pills
- 6 Former bank in town could become a Domino's takeaway
- 7 'It's frustrating' - Vandals damage medieval church's stained glass windows
- 8 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 9 New boss at historic Norfolk pub launches fresh menu and community events
- 10 Pick your own beautiful bouquets in country park's new garden
As we grow older we can look back and appreciate them and their history.
The schools, the churches, shops, the places to work, the factories? And of course our friends and what we got up to. Well, we were young and carefree!
If you have photographs of where you grew up and would like to share them with our readers drop me a line at email@example.com.