‘Every time I go shopping I see him laying on the floor’ - Shopper on aftermath of fatal attack in Morrisons

PUBLISHED: 15:10 20 December 2017 | UPDATED: 17:59 20 December 2017

Floral tributes left outside Morrisons in Wymondham. Picture: Kathryn Cross

Floral tributes left outside Morrisons in Wymondham. Picture: Kathryn Cross


Children were crying and shoppers looked on in astonishment as people battled to try and save the life of the 26-year-old Nick Rogers who collapsed after a frenzied 18-second attack.

CCTV footage from Morrisons showing Nick Rogers (right) and Lee Monk (left in blue shorts and white T-shirt). Photo: Norfolk Police CCTV footage from Morrisons showing Nick Rogers (right) and Lee Monk (left in blue shorts and white T-shirt). Photo: Norfolk Police

For staff and customers alike July 17 2017 is a day which will never be forgotten by many of those who were at Morrisons to see the tragedy unfold before their eyes.

One of them was a man in his 30s from the Wymondham area who did not want to be named.

The eye witness said: “I was shopping in Morrisons when I heard a commotion by the tills.

MORE: Man found guilty of killing Nick Rogers in Morrisons

“Within minutes there were police cars arriving outside the entrance and lots of officers.

“Shoppers and supermarket staff were in shock and visibly upset at seeing the man laying unconscious on the floor.

“I remember hearing an alarm going off then seeing a first aider from the store and a member of the public trying to resuscitate the man and then an ambulance first responder arrived and took over from them.

“It was so sad as what looked like his mother turned up and was obviously very emotional screaming at the emergency services to save him.

“Then we were asked to leave our shopping and evacuate the store immediately.

“While we were all leaving an ambulance and an ambulance car arrived and then the air ambulance.

“Every time I go shopping here I see him laying on the floor in my head, I don’t think it will ever leave me or anyone else who was in there that Monday night.”

Eye witnesses who spoke to the paper at the time of the incident described hearing a commotion and then witnessing Mr Rogers collapse before valiant efforts were made to save him.

A 71-year-old, who did not want to be named, said: “He was on the floor and there was blood on the floor. There was a customer who was giving him mouth to mouth. The paramedics came and I think he stepped back.”

She added: “The staff were trying to take control of it.

“Someone was calling for assistance, others were rushing forward to try and help. They were very, very good in there I must say.”

Countdown to supermarket killing

The fatal attack on Nick Rogers which lasted less than 20 seconds happened after the victim and John and Lee Monk ended up in Morrisons at exactly the same time.

Mr Rogers and his friend Leo Wardrop met in the Railway pub in the town from 5pm on July 17 and left at about 6.30pm to go to Nick’s home address to collect his gym kit before walking towards the gym.

The pair stopped on a bench on Norwich Road for a cigarette. They then went to Morrisons arriving at 7.43pm.

Lee Monk had been at Burger King with his girlfriend prior to going to Morrisons at 7.39pm.

John had been in the Ketts pub and was picked up by friends outside Wymondham Rugby Club before arriving at Morrisons at 7.45pm.

Following the fatal attack on Mr Rogers, Lee and John Monk left the store at 7.47pm.

Lee went home and John went to a friend’s house in Attleborough for a barbecue.

Related articles

Other news

Firefighters are still on the scene tackling a large agricultural fire at Spooner Row.

More than 50 firefighters battled to bring a blaze at a pig farm under control this morning.

The ambition to have 90 minute train times between Norwich and London is in doubt, it has been claimed.


A £20m project to add 1,700 spaces to railway station car parks will benefit Norfolk commuters.

Most Read

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The closure of a major American airbase is to be delayed by another year.

Read more

An attempt to revive a Breckland heritage site has failed after dwindling visitor numbers forced the owners to close the attraction.

Read more
Thursday, February 6, 2014

It was its down-at-heel aura that first attracted Polly Grieff to the crumbling Old Manor at Saham Toney.

Read more
Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The former principal of a Swaffham high school has been banned from the classroom after allowing a young man with a previous reprimand for a sex offence to work and study at the school without appropriate checks or supervision.

Read more
Fri, 08:47

These are the 15 criminals Norfolk Constabulary is currently appealing for help to hunt in the county with crimes ranging from sex offences to assault.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 22°C

min temp: 8°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Wymondham and Attleborough Mercury e-edition today

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter