Search

Plans for 150 homes in Norfolk village deemed ‘unprofessional’ by councillor

PUBLISHED: 11:36 09 November 2017 | UPDATED: 09:24 10 November 2017

The area around Bulgate Lane. Picture: Google

The area around Bulgate Lane. Picture: Google

Archant

Plans to build 150 homes in Poringland have been dubbed “unsatisfactory” and “unprofessional”.

At a recent meeting Poringland Parish Council and district councillor for South Norfolk John Overton met with representatives from Gladman, who put forward the plans for the development off of Burgate Lane.

A number of issues were raised surrounding the plans, with it being suggested that it is being rushed through and proper surveys on how the development will affect the surrounding infrastructure have not been carried out.

The Parish Council said that there has been no concern to the impact on drainage with developers not aware of the flooding issues in the area.

As well as this there has been no detailed survey on the amount of spaces at surrounding schools Poringland Primary and Framingham Earl.

Mr Overton said: “The residents have had enough. Poringland is currently dealing with 1,100 homes and the infrastructure is just being swallowed.

“What has really stuck in the throat of the community is that there has been no public consultation. That is not acceptable, and to use the excuse that cars have been damaged in a different part of the country is pathetic. The whole process has been so quiet.”

The Parish Council believes that there has been a lack of meaningful consultation with local residents. Gladman properties sent 385 leaflets to households in the area explaining the proposed residential development, but the council says this accounts for less than 10p/c of homes affected.

When questioned by Mr Overton, the developers said there was no intention of holding a public consultation due to its company policy after its vehicles had been vandalised in other parts of the country.

The council says that Burgate Lane is unsuitable for additional traffic and that a proper traffic survey had not been carried out. Mr Overton says that more than 250,000 cars travel through Poringland each month, not including residents vehicles.

Although these claims have been put forward, Gladman says that South Norfolk Council has not met its five year land supply and that the application would help to fulfil this short fall.

Gladman was contacted for a comment.

Other news

A Norfolk pipework manufacturer is heading back to its roots in the energy sector as it continues on a growth trajectory.

Yesterday, 21:08

A moped was seized after the rider was given a second warning over driving standards.

Yesterday, 12:00

Money could be shifted between health and social care organisations in Norfolk and Waveney under a new structure which aims to integrate different groups more effectively.

Saturday, May 19, 2018

As the world prepares to celebrate the Royal Wedding, one couple from Norfolk will also be saying “I do” - 17 years after they first met.

Most Read

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The closure of a major American airbase is to be delayed by another year.

Read more
Thursday, February 6, 2014

It was its down-at-heel aura that first attracted Polly Grieff to the crumbling Old Manor at Saham Toney.

Read more
Friday, May 18, 2018

Residents and staff at a Norfolk care home are getting into the Royal Wedding spirit.

Read more
Harry
Thursday, May 17, 2018

Councillors in a Norfolk market town have met with bank representatives in an effort to mitigate the effects of a planned closure.

Read more
Post Office
Tuesday, May 15, 2018

The launch of a military Pave Hawk helicopter into the skies is always a stunning sight to behold.

Read more

Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 9°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wymondham and Attleborough Mercury e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter