Search

Housing schemes in Attleborough and Mattishall approved despite strong opposition

Carvers lane, Attleborough

Carvers lane, Attleborough

Archant Norfolk Photographic © 2015

Housing schemes in Attleborough and Mattishall were today green-lighted by councillors, despite fierce public opposition.

Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman. Picture: Matthew Usher.Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman. Picture: Matthew Usher.

The long-running plans to build 91 homes on Carvers Lane in Attleborough were approved by Breckland Council’s planning committee this morning, with a majority of seven councillors to three.

Since it came to light three years ago, residents have maintained their concerns over a surge in traffic in West Carr Road and Honeysuckle Way and potential flood risks.

Another worry has been the pedestrianisation and diversion of Carvers Lane, a secluded right of way which is often used as a quicker route for emergency services.

The approval for the outline application came despite more than 300 signatures on an online petition and at least 120 letters of objection, pending flood reports and the lane being outside of the settlement boundary.

Speaking during the meeting, Attleborough mayor John Taylor said the “town can’t cope” with the extra houses and that the decision would “make a mockery of the notion of local community planning”.

Councillor Keith Martin, who sits on the planning committee and is a district councillor for the town, said that Attleborough had already taken its fair share of housing, with more than 4,000 homes earmarked for the town.

Meanwhile, plans to build 35 homes on a parcel of agricultural land off Cedar Rise in Mattishall were also given backing by councillors.

The outline application attracted more than 150 letters of objection, including one from Mid-Norfolk MP George Freeman.

Liz Hunton, from Mattishall Parish Council, said that a decision should be deferred until the completion of a neighbourhood plan being made by the village council.

District councillor Bill Borrett said: “This neighbourhood plan should not be underestimated. It is a very powerful document. To make a decision now without the benefit of the plan would be a mistake.”

But the planning committee decided it was too early in its development and that waiting would delay a decision until next year.

Tony Abel, managing director of Abel Homes, who submitted the plans, said that the company always does the “honourable thing” and that the application met all the necessary criteria.

He said: “We will not seek to build more homes in excess of the 35.”

Five councillors voted in favour of the scheme and five against, with chairman Nigel Wilkin casting the deciding vote.

Residents attended to hear the outcome of both applications, with disappointment voiced as a decision was reached.

• What do you think of the decisions? Email lauren.cope@archant.co.uk

4 comments

  • We need to do more to provide affordable housing for our young people. Right to buy has and will continue to be a long term disaster for this country. We need to get back to building good quality council houses like the ones they built in the 50s and 60s. Good design, reasonable size garden and they were built to last. We also need significant investment in infrastructure such as roads, drains and health services etc in order to service the additional houses. At the moment the Government is trying to do planning and house building on a shoestring. As for NIMBYS, in my own village I am constantly amazed at the attitude of a vocal minority of incomers who live in their executive size houses. One wrote to me recently to say "We don't want or need any more affordable houses in this village" I assume he meant the Royal "we".

    Report this comment

    Roger Atterwill

    Wednesday, September 23, 2015

  • What a bunch of unsociable villagers! People are great, the more the merrier! These people who object would do well to remember that their own homes were built once. Shock horror - yes, it's true! You never know, you might make some new friends, happy days.

    Report this comment

    paul moroz

    Wednesday, September 23, 2015

  • Breckland council are a joke, the stand in planning officer didn't have a clue and all the chairman did was make jokes and this was far from a laughing matter Mr Abel its about time you did the honourable thing and speak to the residents of cedar rise close

    Report this comment

    david106

    Tuesday, September 22, 2015

  • In total then, 126 new homes.! One wonders how many of the objectors bothered to find out how many of these units are supportive housing, or for reasonable rent.? So, how many will be available for the desperate young people with family, who lanquish on the ever increasing LA housing list.? My guess is that they are being built to buy, beyond any local young family ably to afford, or mortgage, but will, yet again, be inviting to the ever increasing retirees from the South and London, to further clog up our health services, and join the dangerous 'third gear' drivers that are totally inexperienced in driving down our narrow country roads. This situation stems from a handbag Prime Minister, that imposed the 'right to buy' legislation, of council houses, which have never been replaced, and purely for devious political credence, for the 'non thinkers' to vote for her party. But, hey, a certain 'blue freeman' opposed the applications, to assist the housing crisis, so he is on the right track to improve, and support the plight of desperate local young families, who I am sure will vote for him and his party next time.! So compassionate and caring, he is bound to win next time.! Does he perchance, originate from the South, or is he a 'born and bred Norfolk' person from Norfolk stock, or as suspected, born here, unfortunately?

    Report this comment

    Harry Brown

    Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Other news

A Norfolk MP is in the eye of a storm over comments he made today about disability benefits.

Pancake Day is around the corner and many people will be celebrating the annual event by frying up a large heap to share with friends and family.

Power has now been restored to homes affected by Storm Doris, which ripped through the region on Thursday.

The sun was shining and it felt reasonably warm for the time of year, after those cold Easterly winds, so I decided to dust down my old trusty bicycle and go for a ride in the country, something I have done for some 50 plus years.

Most Read

Thursday, February 6, 2014

It was its down-at-heel aura that first attracted Polly Grieff to the crumbling Old Manor at Saham Toney.

Read more

An attempt to revive a Breckland heritage site has failed after dwindling visitor numbers forced the owners to close the attraction.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:27

People in the region are facing the biggest hike in their council tax bills for a decade, with those living in Band D properties facing an annual increase of around £66.

Read more
Lorne Green
Monday, January 16, 2017

Police are appealing for witnesses to a serious road traffic collision in Griston which left a woman in a critical condition.

Read more
Watton
Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A MAN'S bid to expand his adult material import and distribution business to a sex shop in an industrial unit on the edge of a Norfolk village has been refused.

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 7°C

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wymondham and Attleborough Mercury e-edition today E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter