Search

Ex-head teacher guilty of sex offences against boys at Norfolk public school

PUBLISHED: 15:34 12 February 2015 | UPDATED: 17:51 12 February 2015

David Tuohy (83) of Whitehouse Road, Oxford, arriving at Norwich Crown Court.

David Tuohy (83) of Whitehouse Road, Oxford, arriving at Norwich Crown Court.

copyright 2014: Rob Colman Tel: 07905093569. No Syndication.

A former headmaster of a Norfolk boarding school has been found guilty of a string of historic sex attacks on five boys, the youngest of whom was 10 at the time.

David Tuohy, 83, taught at and later took charge of Eccles Hall School in Quidenham in the 1970s and 1980s.

Tuohy, had denied 18 counts of indecent assault and four of offences of a serious sexual nature.

But following a trial at Norwich Crown Court Tuohy was yesterday found guilty of a total of 15 counts of indecent assault.

He was convicted of seven counts of indecent assault against one boy, three counts of indecent assault against a second boy, one count against a third, two counts against a fourth and two against a fifth.

He was found not guilty of seven counts including four serious sexual assaults and three indecent assaults against one of the boys.

The jury of eight men and four women took just five and a half hours to return their verdicts.

All the offences took place between September 1972 and March 1983.

Detective Constable Faith Morris, of Norfolk Constabulary’s Child Abuse Investigation Unit, said: “Tuohy used a position of absolute trust to abuse his victims and commit a string of offences.

“The fact Tuohy pleaded not guilty to all counts meant his victims were forced to relive the traumatic events which occurred all those years ago.”

Tuohy, who was wearing a greenish checked jacket and wore a hearing loop, will be sentenced on March 13.

He was granted conditional bail.

As previously reported Tuohy, of White House Road, Oxford, exploited the five pupils, who were all under 16, to satisfy his own sexual urges.

The attacks happened at the school, now known as the New Eccles Hall School, in Quidenham.

Thanking the original victim for reporting the abuse, Det Con Morris, added: “Not only was it incredibly brave for him to come forward and speak to the police but such courage led to further victims coming forward resulting in further charges against Tuohy.

“He has been left shattered by his experience and has had to receive ongoing medical treatment to help him cope with what happened to him.

“All the victims suffered years of abuse at the hands of Tuohy and it has taken an enormous amount of courage for them all to speak to the police and stand up in court and give evidence.

“I would like to thank all the victims for coming forward and I hope the verdict passed today provides some level of closure and allows each victim to move on positively with their lives.”

An investigation was launched by the Child Abuse Investigation Unit in early 2013 after officers were contacted by the first victim.

Tuohy was traced to his address in Oxford and was arrested on Wednesday June 12 2013.

Other news

21 minutes ago

Teachers and pupils alike had a great time celebrating Red Nose Day at Old Buckenham High School.

Shoppers can nominate their favourite independent shops, eateries and salons for the first time in this year’s South Norfolk Independent Retailer Awards.

14:39

A buyer has been found for a Norfolk carmaker which went into administration - but it has been confirmed that 25 jobs have been lost in the process.

A desperately-needed link road to the south of Attleborough could go ahead if the county council agrees to lend £18m to development promotion company.

Most Read

08:23

The terrorist who carried out the Westminster attack served time in a Norfolk prison and had a string of criminal convictions.

Read more
Ford
Yesterday, 17:30

The chairman of a group working to open a permanent museum in Watton has said it has “taken longer” than expected but progress is being made.

Read more
Breckland Council

An attempt to revive a Breckland heritage site has failed after dwindling visitor numbers forced the owners to close the attraction.

Read more

A £105,000 fund to support community groups across Norfolk and Suffolk has been announced today.

Read more
Eastern Daily Press
Friday, January 27, 2017

MPs and officials were told improvements to a major bottleneck on the region’s railways could begin in three years’ time.

Read more
Elizabeth Truss

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 3°C

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wymondham and Attleborough Mercury e-edition today E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter